Easiest Sparkies for flying

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Easiest Sparkies for flying

Postby Dan Mrozek » Thu May 27, 2004 10:52 am

What were the engines of choice for thier ease in use? Starting, adjusting, power, etc. By far I see more O&R s around than others. I know Orwicks are powerful, but cost puts them out of reach for some of us. Glow engines are so much eaiser to deal with. The fun comes in with a plane and engine from time frame of Sr. Playboys, Powerhouse, Zomby, and many others. Come on Max lets here from you. Regards,Dan :lol: :lol: :lol: :?: :?: :idea:
Last edited by Dan Mrozek on Thu May 27, 2004 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Mrozek

My Favorites

Postby max hansen » Thu May 27, 2004 5:19 pm

OK Dan, you asked for it!
Class A engines I would lead off with a Bantam .19 ,then the Ardens .099 & .19 , O&R .19 .
Class B the Forster .29 RR, Bullet .27 & the powerful Mc Coy .29 & every bodies favorite the O&R .23
Class C we never played much with so no info on them .
Class D My favorite would be the Super Cyclone & then the O&R Side Ports. We were like you ,couldn't afford the real powerful ones & were afraid for our tender little fingers !
Most all of us had trouble starting them at one time or another & most time could be traced to bad batteries . There were a lot of good engines made in the 40's & 50's it was just what was popular in your area . Most of us were not contest flyers & when you did fly at one most were not equiped with any thing better than you. Then came the GLOW PLUG! WOW that changed every thing but you all know that ! MAX H.
max hansen

Spark Ignition

Postby Twanger » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:35 pm

I found a link on the S.A.M. website that lead to a schematic for a transistorized ignition system using NiCad cells for power. I put it to use in my Buccaneer "C" Special (R/C assist). I use an Ohlsson sideport .60, and sometimes an Anderson Spitfire 6100 series. Either of these engines will fire off immediately when the fuel hits the spark. I am amazed at how reliable they were made with this spark system. It saves your points, and cuts radio interference. :D
Twanger

Return to Spark Ignition Engines