White Gas?

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

White Gas?

Postby boz » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:56 pm

I've read a lot of post's that recommend using white gas and straight 70 weight oil for the old sparkies. Can someone please tell me what exactly white gas is? Is it petrol that you can get from the gas station or what? Some say Coleman fuel, I guess that is some sort of spirit. Here in England we have petrol/gas, diesel/derv, paraffin/kerosine, white spirit which is a paint thinner, methalated spirit which is used for I don't know what. Please, can someone help me get a sparky started? Also I have tried to get 70 weight oil with no luck. Is there an alternative? Thanks in advance for any help.
boz

colman fuel/unleaded fuel

Postby youngfred2 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:47 pm

BOZ Looks like everyone backed away from your post. So I'll give it a try.COLMAN fuel is a brand name that it's sold under here in the USA. IT is a low octain fuel with little or no additives (during WW2 all fuel was WHITE GAS) as most folks here call it. Don't know if you folks have/use gas latterns or stoves that use (white gas or not) biggest use here is for camping. You pour it in - pump up the pressure and lite the think.burns a lot like nat. gas or propane. very clean very hot. Its about 75 octane. As for oil the 70w is (non detergent) - very close to mineral oil. The detergent oil aditives in oil have been found to attact the brgs most of the old engines used babbit brgs and chrome plating for a hardened surface (the additives attact both!Try checking with the boys at the local airdrome see/ask what they are using in there old tiger moths etc. the old pre ww11 airplanes . I have even used the mineral oil in my 1929 fleet model2 and my 1940 fleet 16B both have 5 cyl. kinner engines The 1940 was designed to run on (white gas) But after overhaul you were to run it for 2hrs min. on fuel with lead in it. by burning the fuel with lead in it formed carbon- it hardened the bronze valve seats :!:
youngfred2

Postby boz » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:35 pm

Thanks for your help youngfred2. I can buy Coleman camping fuel here so I just need to find the oil now. Thanks again.
boz

fuel/running engine

Postby youngfred2 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:59 pm

BOZ HAVE YOU GOT THAT THING RUNNING YET :?: I am sorry I never thought to ask if you needed a coil or anything else :roll: If you do give me a shout and your address and I will send you some.FRED R JOHNSON MECA 5119
youngfred2

Postby boz » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:56 am

Hi Fred, Yes I got it going on Colemans fuel (white Gas). I have one or two coils so all is well. Thanks for your help.
boz

Return to Spark Ignition Engines