O&R 60 Custom

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

O&R 60 Custom

Postby barrie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:25 am

My O&R 60 Custom has 18 rollers in its shaft bearing, with room for at least 2 more. Can someone who has the parts list check the correct number for me?
If this prompts you to look inside a Custom 60 and count your rollers, open it over a tray to catch them when they fall out.
Barrie
barrie

Custom O&R .60

Postby max hansen » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:26 pm

There should be 21 rollers & if every thing is not worn too bad the last one will need to be slipped in between the ones on both sides from the end . At least that's the way the ones I have worked on were . Don't think a little wear hurts though . I have also found out that the 1/4" cranks are much more balanced than the 5/16" ones . Why they broke & they went to the larger one is beyond me ,maybe poor heat treating or by hitting the ground ! Look how many engines today have 1/4"cranks with no trouble . The 5/16 cranks they used in the later Customs & Specials is the same & nothing to write home about . Sorry I rattled on but I really like CUSTOMS ! MAX H. :lol:
max hansen

O & R Custom

Postby max hansen » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:00 pm

Barrie did you get my message on the fuel & props ? MAX H. :lol:
max hansen

O&R 60 Custom

Postby barrie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:14 am

Thanks, Max, I thought it might give much the same revs on a bigger prop, but my test stand needs mods to use one. (I had to put in packing blocks and longer bolts before it would accept an O&R 60.)
I used to use 3:1 but my oil is Aeroshell W100, which I believe may be thinner than SAE 70, so I'm being cautious.
Yes I got 21 in with a bit of fumbling but no resistance. A full set of new ones might be a tighter fit.
I'm sure the intake tube of mine is cast in, and slightly loose. It occurs to me that if O&R made them with screw-in tubes, that would appear on the parts list as a separate item - but not if they were cast in, and they may have changed from cast to threaded; I don't have a parts list for the Custom, however.
Barrie
barrie

Return to Spark Ignition Engines