Playboy Sr Engine

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Playboy Sr Engine

Postby olddogg60 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:11 pm

Hi all,
I'm intending to get into Old timer ignition models. I'm thinking about building a Playboy Sr cabin version. I believe these are 72 or 80 inches in span. My question is what ignition engine would be desirable and of the proper size for one of these aircraft. I'm just trying to learn about the different engines and planes so any help and or advise would be appreciated. Best regards,
Bill
olddogg60

Postby olddogg60 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:36 pm

I have settled on a Dallaire Sportster 82". I purchase a partial kit from Klarich Custom Kits http://www.klarichkits.com/main.html . So the same question applies as to preferred ignition engines and suitable size for this aircraft.
Best regards,
Bill
olddogg60

engine

Postby max hansen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:45 am

Hi Bill, You can use any size engine in the .60 range . What ever your pocket book can handle.
When you build your kit ,check out the wing spars as I have seen several of these have a wing failure . Don't know what the kit has but I would use spruce . Max H. :lol:
max hansen

Postby olddogg60 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi Max,
Thank you for the information. I haven't recieved the partial kit yet but when I do I will check the spar material if it is in the kit or get spruce for them. I bought a SUPER CYCLONE ignition engine that I hope is in usable condition.
I'm sure that I will have many more questions soon. :)

Best regards,
Bill Griffith
olddogg60

Postby viking61 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:23 am

Olddog,
Super Cyke will be a fine engine for your Playboy. I have a Areo-dyne kit of 80" and a new Super Cyke for project down the road. I have seen them both in action and was most impressed. Truly one of old time classics and quite a sight flying. If you like FF you will love this combo.
Viking61
viking61

Postby olddogg60 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:19 am

Hi Viking61,
I have my short kit and the rest of the wood, along with spruce for the spars so I am ready to start building. I made up a building board and had extra copys of the plans made. The engine arrived and it looks good.
After several years out of modeling and a couple of years of ARF's, I'm really ready to build something again. :D I did decide on a Dallaire Sportster 82", but I'm still thinking about a Playboy as the next project.
Too much hot shot technology. Time for something old, simple and graceful.
Best regrads,
Bill
olddogg60

Postby viking61 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:30 am

Bill,
Both models are a good choice. The Super Cyke is a good engine. The nice thing about a big model is big pieces to assemble. You might want to check out polyspan for covering. Alot easier than silk and has the look of silk. Cheers,Dan
viking61

Postby olddogg60 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:48 am

Hi Dan,
I have been considering Polyspan. I read an article by Larry Davidson on covering with Polyspan and see that there are some write-ups on the the SAM site. I will check it out. I bought ignition parts and a new fuel tank from Larry and I see that he carries Polyspan also.
I have a friend here that is scratch building a Weathers Westerner 96". We just aquired a Brown Jr. for it.
We will build them with RC assist. I live on 33+ acres so we have plenty of room to fly as long as we keep them reined in a bit. :)
Best regards,
Bill
olddogg60

playboy

Postby john schicker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:21 am

hi have finished a 82 inch playboy and used spruce for the spars and covered it with seconite frabric had a ull up weight of 5 and a half lbs weight .regards john :D
john schicker

Postby Frank Klenk » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Bill

The Super Cyke is a good choice. I have the full size Dallaire (100 inch) and I use a PAW 35 for power. It's not a powerhouse but it works fine. With a 1 oz tank I can get a 8 minute engine run. It's pretty much a dot in the sky.

Frank
Frank Klenk

Postby collie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:22 pm

hi.I fly Playboys in radio controlled Oldtimer comps in Australia.Have won most many times.Build a std 80in pylon PB and fit a mccoy 60 series 20 on glow or spark .Fill the tank with 50% nitro 22%oil[klotz 200]and the rest methanol.Fit a carbon 13*4.5 in pitch prop[thin to get rpms] and way you go.Anything under 13500rpm is wasting time.anything thing over 3.5lb is heavy.[glow lighter]
option2
build 112%Playboy ,pylon model same engine combo as above.anything over 60oz is too heavy!! .[glow lighter]
Low rate rudder[for power climb] .5in either side center.high rate for glide max deflection.Cof G should be 50% of main wing chord.Use incidence meter and set tail at zero deg,the mail wing is 1.5 deg relative to tail[0].
if you want FF all bets off/ Crown the points .set ign timing to fire plug at 32deg btdc.use a degree wheel.Point gap not supet critical,but smaller is better.Found 3.6v coil better.Friend in australia winds coils with extra windings and proper insulation between windings ,not candle wax like some coils.thay are then placed in a vacume tank in proper coil varnish,very good spark.Have fun!
collie

Return to Spark Ignition Engines