Champion Glow Plug ?

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Champion Glow Plug ?

Postby vkmet » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:58 pm

Hello to all.....
I recently aquired my first spark engine (Madewell .49) at a swap meet and was happy that a Champion plug was included. I checked the plug with an ohmmeter without removing it and it seemed to be shorted (less than 1 ohm). When I removed it I was surprised to see a heater coil, no spark gap. Externally it looks like a spark plug, its marked "Champion Made In USA VG2". Just what have I got here, did Champion make glow plugs when they began to get popular or what? This engine is complete with timer/points so I'm a little confused.
THANKS
vkmet

Champion glow plug

Postby David Johnson » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:27 pm

Yes, Champion made glow plugs. The "G" in VG2 stands for glow.
You're fortunate to have the points and timer - they usually get thrown away.
David Johnson

Postby vkmet » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. I suspected the "G" might be for Glow, since I had only heard of spark plugs with numbers such as V1, V2, etc. I theorize this engine had been robbed of its spark plug and a glow plug just put in it sometime later cause it was handy, thus the timer/points were never removed.
vkmet

Champion Glow Plug ?

Postby barrie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:05 am

I once spent a long time at an event flicking a Super Cyke, checking the spark with the plug lead off, etc., until I took the plug out and remembered I'd put in a VG2, meaning to try the engine on glow fuel for cooler running.
Barrie
barrie

Postby Twanger » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:55 pm

I HAD a VG2 Champion. I put it in a Super Tigre .45. It ran great for a little while, and then burned up! It was about 60 years old, and I guess it couldn't take the heat. :cry:
Twanger

Return to Spark Ignition Engines