O&R23FRV shaft

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

O&R23FRV shaft

Postby barrie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:20 am

I have an O&R23FRV ign which would be a good runner except that it has a sideport shaft (ie no shaft port, so no way for fuel or air to get in except via the exhaust port).
Does anyone have a suitable spare (venturi UP timing) that they would swap for the sideport shaft? I don't want to try drilling a port.
Alternatively I also have a spare 19FRV UP shaft and housing available to swap. This fits in the 23 but of course the stroke and timing are wrong.
Serial no. of the engine is 457990
Barrie
barrie

O&R .23

Postby max hansen » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:42 am

Barrie , Does your engine have the thrust roller bearing or the little 3 piece ball bearing ? I'm not sure if they interchange properly . I have both so let me know which one you need . I will trade you for the .19 one . Max Hansen
max hansen

O&R23FRV shaft

Postby barrie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:56 am

Hello again Max,
I've not looked inside it recently so I'll do that and make sure. You may also be able to help me with a pair of sideport 60s which are short of ball thrust bearings; from memory, one has none of the bearing parts and the other has a mangled cage but I'll check those also.
While on the subject of shafts, I'm puzzled by the inverted versions. An O&R leaflet that I have refers to alternative shafts giving better access to the choke but says the standard front housing is used. With 3 bolts, I don't see how this works and there is no picture to explain it.
Barrie
barrie

O&R STUFF

Postby max hansen » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:31 am

Barrie, If you will send me a e-mail address I think I have a inverted .23 picture in my photo file , I have done a couple of them . Really look different .
As to the thrust bearing, I don't have any extras & no one is reproducing them . Burnis Ray has a brass replacement one listed . I have used a brass one for a couple of engines & they seem to work OK.
I have several .23 shafts so it just comes down as to which one you need .
Fun & games ! MAX H. :lol:
max hansen

Return to Spark Ignition Engines