Freeing magnesium castings.

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Freeing magnesium castings.

Postby Graham » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:31 pm

I have a 1939 Hi-Speed 29 and the timer casting is seized to the crankcase. I have tried soaking it in penetrating oil, and have tried heat several times and cannot move it. These are delicate magnesium (or something close) castings which will break with too much force. Any ideas?
Graham

Postby Frank Klenk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Graham
I've been watching your post to see if anyone had a sugestion. I have never had to free up magnesium engine. So, I emailed a good friend about it and here are his suggestions. This came from Bill Bickle by the way, an expert engine restorer ......

I have always used a Black & Decker Heat n' Strip which is just a super hot hair dryer that was sold as a paint stripper. It won't quite get hot enough to melt solder but it comes close.

Another thing is be sure that the timer arm which serves as a clamp is not screwed in far
enough to prevent movement of the timer. I have also seen some of those timers with a set screw or a piece of broken off timer arm in the hole.

Be sure the fixed point is removed as it also serves as a clamp. With care you should be able to bend it enough to remove it without damaging it. You may be able to use a needle to scratch any crud out of the slots between the leaves that the fixed point squeezes around the nose of the engine

An ultrasonic cleaner may help as long as a solution that won't bother paint or magnesium is used.

The main thing is to go slow and not use any undue force on the timer frame as it is fairly easy to break. Good luck
Frank Klenk

Postby chiefss » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:58 pm

You called your engine a high speed 29. Do you mean an M&M?
chiefss

Postby chiefss » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi again,

Your High speed?? The only Hi Speed I see in the model engine encyclopedia or Anderson's is an M&M. Is this what you have
chiefss

Return to Spark Ignition Engines