O&R 60

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

O&R

Postby max hansen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:48 pm

Jim, No clip on crank ,the back of the thrust washer keeps it from going back. You can feel when you move the timer lever too far as the point will move out of the notch in the front bushing .Getting close. MAX H. :)
max hansen

Postby charles bartunek » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi Jim:From the photo of your engine, It look like a 1946 Olhsson .60. From the front view showing the timer & front cover, the fixer point should be pointing up (12:00 o'clock) The timer arm should be on the left side (facing) or on the right side of the engine.Facing the engine,the starting position for tie tiner arn is at 7:00 O'clock.The slot ,which is machined to receive the moving point in the bronz bearing should be on the right side of the front plate at 5:00 o'clock (as you face the engine) This is important: if the the timer slot is not at the 5:00 position, you will have to remove the front cover and rotate the cover until the slot is in the corect position.  If you have the front cover off , check the thrust bearing which is located next to the crank disk. The bearing should have all the small bearings. If not it should be replaced. I don't know of any source for them.The prop drive washer and the prop washer is all you need on the front end.The intake pipe is cast into the crankcase and doesn't un screw on your model.The cylinder is welded on. Don't clean this engine in a crock pot under any circunstances as the cylinder base gasket will deterioate.Hope this helps.I have some parts and i'll be glad to help if needed.Regards,Chuck BartunekBlackbrt12@sbcglobal.net
charles bartunek

O&R

Postby max hansen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Chuck , I think you must have a different engine than the ones I have . Looking at the engine from the front the notch should be from 6 o,clock to about 10. This engine you can't rotate the cover as it has a cut out at the top for piston clearance ,(in the picture under the "bulls eye") . With the timer arm screws in the right places you will only be able to move the arm so far before they hit the cover webs . With the side timer arm ,fully retarded it will be almost straight down & fully advanced at about 9:30 . The longer screw on the side of the long part of the arm will set that . Easy . MAX H. :D
max hansen

Previous

Return to Spark Ignition Engines