anybody know what this is? or worth?

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

anybody know what this is? or worth?

Postby grnmac1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:08 pm

Hey guys,
I got this little motor and i dont know anything about it. It say "Mighty Marine" on the front of it. any ideas? maybe what it might be worth?

It has a little champion spark plug in it, and it has like a cam lobe for what looks like a point set. also the fuel bowl. also its not seized up, and it feels pretty smooth.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg26 ... 0_0492.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg26 ... 0_0491.jpg
grnmac1

Postby walt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:25 am

Sorry, don't have a good enough memory to say exactly what this is, but someone here will, I'm sure. Looks like one of the early "Bunch" types: Tiger Aero, Mighty Midget, Gwyn Aero, etc. Maybe a "Bunch Mighty Marine", since that's what 's engraved on it. Looks pretty much complete, too, with what looks like a complete timer assembly up front. Probably just needs cleaning up. Could be a little difficult to take apart if you want to take it that far. Be really careful, or you'll do more harm than good. Turning it over isn't the best idea until you make sure there's no crud inside to score your cylinder walls. It may have rings, which are probably stuck and are a bit difficult to free-up completely. It's very collectible. Worth more as-is than if it's scarred-up trying to take it apart. If it's just dirty on the outside, you're in luck.
Enjoy !
walt

Postby raglafart » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:24 am

the big raised head seems to put it as a 1938 Mighty Midget or Mighty marine. The tanks appears to be from the later models. I agree with everything Walt said.
Cheers John
raglafart

Return to Spark Ignition Engines