EDCO Sky Devil

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

EDCO Sky Devil

Postby przybylski » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:54 am

I have a Sky Devil which doesn't seem to fit the information given out previously. I think its probably a repro. but it does not have a Serial #
anywhere on it. The exhaust stacks are painted within, and it came in a
brightly coloured red, yellow & black box. It is the "short shaft" version, ie.
the SD-R car racing model, and the top of the backplate has two straight
edges, rising slightly to meet in the middle. The front ball bearing is a Japanese Nachi. What I want to know is - who made this engine, and what
capacity is it ? (keeping in mind the car version was supposed to be a .61
and not a .65) Also, it appears to have a removable prop stud, which I have been unable to shift - any ideas how to unscrew it ? THANKS, BOB
przybylski

EDCO Sky Devil

Postby przybylski » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:24 pm

Someone has mentioned that a guy named Don Sohn may have been involved in producing replica Sky Devils - any information on that would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BOB
przybylski

Postby chiefss » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Terry Toopes made them in the San Diego (Del Mar) area. He got some of his castings from Mecoa. I have two of them that were given to me when I worked for Hobby Shack in San Diego. He was going through a messy divorce and I held some of his machine equipment until it was over. It sounds like you have one of those. This was back in the 80's.

Get two prop nuts and tighten them against each other. That should help get the stud out. Use the wrench on the inner nut which tries to tighten it against the front nut when turning it.. According to Terry whatever he used to harden the stud caused it to rust. Both of mine had the same problem. The two nut trick got the stud out.
chiefss

EDCO Sky Devil

Postby przybylski » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Thanks for that ! Up until now, I was only 99% sure that the sucker had a
prop stud, and didn't want to lean on it too hard, just in case it wasn't !
You are absolutely correct about the rust, as I can see traces of it where
the stud starts to screw in the shaft. I've tried the 2 nut treatment but its
THAT tight, that both the nuts just screw off. The only way of stopping the
shaft turning is with an Allen key in the propdrive grub screw, so I may have to dis-mantle the thing. Are gaskets available anywhere for the Sky
Devil ? Thanks, BOB
przybylski

Postby chiefss » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

You might try Randy Linsalato at Mecoa. As I recall them may have actually made some of the Sky Devils themselves. I know he showed parts for them. I tried to get the fixed point but he was out of stock. I make gaskets out of 3x5 card stock.

You will probably have to disassemble the engine to get the stud out. I did on one of mine. If push comes to shove, you can always use vice grips and replace the stud will one from a K&B 61. They are identical. Remove the back plate and use a piece of wood to keep the crank from turning. Try a little liquid wrench or some other loosening oil before you manhandle the stud. You should anyway as I found rust behind the drive washer on mine.
chiefss

Postby Jim Kraft » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:47 pm

A little heat from a heat gun can sometimes to wonders also.
Jim Kraft

Return to Spark Ignition Engines