Hurleman

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Hurleman

Postby spacebug.049 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:30 am

Anyone know how to take a Hurleman 60 apart? I'm pretty sure the cylinder unscrews but it wont budge an I dont want to force anything. As for the other parts, i really just dont know.
spacebug.049

Postby propwobble » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:44 pm

I can tell you that the .49 unscrews and the back plate is pressed in. I think the .60 is the same but it would be nice if someone who knows for sure would comment. Have you tried heat then soaking in solvent, then heat again? You can grab cylinders by using a strip of leather inside a hose clamp. This offers a better purchase than by hand for cylinders that have no holes in the top for a pin spanner. Helps prevent damage too. Good luck!
propwobble

Postby spacebug.049 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:33 pm

The back plate has two protrusions that appear to be screws but they are totally covered with magnesium. I have tried years ago to take off the cylinder with a wrench but no luck. Wasn't a good idea i decided so I an not trying that again.
spacebug.049

Postby propwobble » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:01 pm

What kind of wrench did you try to use. Was it a strap wrench, pipe wrench?? Serious damage could result to the fins and possibly distorting the cylinder out of round depending on the method and how much force was applied.

In case I was not clear or detailed enough in my initial comment I'll elaborate. First you wrap the leather strap ( inch and half wide or so and of a length that is just short of equal to the measure of the circumference of the cylinder) around the cylinder, then you put a hose clamp around the leather and tighten it. Then you can get a good grip on the hose clamp for turning while protecting the cylinder from unequal loads and any tool marks. It works and it is a wrench of sorts.

I have seen the .49's but not the .60 so I cannot comment on protrusions on the back plate except that the back plate of the 1939 single stack and later twin stack engines that I have seen do not have them.
propwobble

Postby spacebug.049 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:40 am

Adjustable wrench.
spacebug.049

Return to Spark Ignition Engines