rogers ram 29

An open forum to ask members questions about old time spark ignition engines.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

rogers ram 29

Postby john c. jones » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:38 am

can a vintage rogers ram spark engine be carbereted :?:
john c. jones

Postby spacebug.049 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:27 pm

Does the Ram have a straight venturi? If so you could probably braze some similar size commercial carb on the venturi. What would you want to carburize one of them slag engines for anyways ? If you want a good running engine, seems like you want a vintage, buy something like an O&R, Brownie, or Baby Cyke. The O&R would probably be easiest to carburize because of the non flared venturi.
spacebug.049

Postby chiefss » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:02 pm

He's right about slag engines. They would wear out quickly when run as an R/C engine. An hour at best would be the life span.

There is no reason you can't put a modern carb on an old ignition engine. However, you aren't going to braze an aluminum carb to anything. I have an OS 4B carb mounted on and old Ohlsson 60 sideport and it works beautifully. I turned a small adapter on my lathe and shortened the intake about an inch.

It will idle down to about 600rpm with the spark retarded. About 1000 with the spark at the run setting. I run it on straight methanol and castor, 3 to 1. Don't use nitro in an Ohlsson. It will ruin the gasket between the cylinder and the case.

I flew it for a couple years on a SIG Kadet senior. 14x6 Top Flite prop.
chiefss

Return to Spark Ignition Engines