k&b torpedo .35 engine

An open forum for questions on any control line glow engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

k&b torpedo .35 engine

Postby beaslbob » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Back in the early '70s there was one combat flier that was using a k&b 35. This was 2 ball bearing, front intake that was like the 40 rr motors not the green head or stallians. It had a huge intake and if was required to be launched 4 cycling cycling then came on in the air.

Just wondered if anyone remember those engines. He was the only one I ever saw using one.
Last edited by beaslbob on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaslbob

k&b torpedo .35 engine

Postby Ken McClenahan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 pm

It was Series 61 or Series 64 K&B 35 (I have a Series 64).

Whether or not it had to be four cycling at takeoff depends on the pressure system and the prop size. I never had that problem.
Ken McClenahan

Re: k&b torpedo .35 engine

Postby beaslbob » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:27 am

Ken McClenahan wrote:It was Series 61 or Series 64 K&B 35 (I have a Series 64).

Whether or not it had to be four cycling at takeoff depends on the pressure system and the prop size. I never had that problem.

Could be.

He ran crankcase pressure and at launch if not 4 cycling definately the needle valve was at least 1/4 turn or more opened from peak. then it would come on in the air.

for the time it was a pretty impressive engine able to keep up with the foxes and supertigers. I guess it was also pretty expensive or more would have been using it.

added: I joked with the user that it was a small 40 and he stated the actually the 40 was a "grown up" 35. :lol:
beaslbob

Postby chiefss » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:56 pm

It is a series 61 or a 64I had both. They were a lot more zip than the Foxes. Turned a bigger prop than the ST's. If was running on crankcase pressure it was set a touch rich. Never saw one running at a sloppy 4 cycle. If running a pen bladder or baby pacifier it was set right on at top rpm.
chiefss

Postby beaslbob » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:19 am

chiefss wrote:It is a series 61 or a 64I had both. They were a lot more zip than the Foxes. Turned a bigger prop than the ST's. If was running on crankcase pressure it was set a touch rich. Never saw one running at a sloppy 4 cycle. If running a pen bladder or baby pacifier it was set right on at top rpm.

Ok

I set corrected. touch rich not 4 cycle.
beaslbob

Return to Control Line Glow Engines