OPS Engine Info.

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

OPS Engine Info.

Postby max hansen » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:55 pm

I picked up a OPS 4 stroke , 2 valve OHC engine today . Looks like a 1.20, & the cam shaft is timing belt driven off the rear of the crank . I think it is made in Germany ? Any one out there know any thing about these critters , I am in the dark! Thanks , MAX H. :lol:
Last edited by max hansen on Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max hansen

Postby Rustler » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:34 pm

Max, the OPS I know is Italian. But I'm not aware of your engine. They did make a few unusual engines which are not well known I believe.
Rustler

OPS

Postby max hansen » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:35 pm

Thanks for the info . After I posted I thought it may have been made in Italy . The search is narrowing some . Not sure of the size but it weighs 2 lbs 5 oz, about 6 oz. more than a OS 1.20 . I have a LOT of model magazines & I don't remember seeing it in them . The quest goes on ! MAX H. :lol:
max hansen

OPS 4-stroke

Postby ron bennett » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:47 pm

Dear Max:

The engine you are asking about is the OPS 20cc 4-stroke. OPS is no longer in business. They were a design, assembly and marketing company providing very stout high performance engines. The three partners went their separate ways when the O partner (I do not remember the Italian names off the top of my head so I’ll just use the initials here) went off to work full time for the Communist Party. The S partner was the financial guy and he went off to another business venture unrelated to the hobby industry. The P partner, the marketing guy behind OPS, gathered together all the sub-contractors to OPS together, chance the casting dies name plates and Picco Engines were born almost overnight.

Like Picco and a few other engine suppliers today, OPS did not build their engines or parts but contracted the parts to machine shops and other engine builders. The OPS 20cc 4-stroke, like its companions, the 30cc and 60cc twin glow engines were made for OPS by Rossi. They are very high-quality engines and have a drum vale system similar to HP and Webra.

Hope this helps,

Ron Bennett
ron bennett

OPS

Postby max hansen » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:22 pm

Ron, Thanks for the info . Now I wonder is worth using as if I have trouble with it there will be no parts available. Maybe a someday collectable . Quite unique. Thanks again , MAX H. :lol:
max hansen

Postby david brooks » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:51 am

You can try and ask here:

Aeromarine Laminates
http://aeromarinerc.com/
david brooks

OPS

Postby max hansen » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:07 am

David , Thanks for the info . I will give them a try . Max H. :lol:
max hansen

Postby dvdmiranda584 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:46 am

I think they were a design, and assembly for marketing company providing very stout high performance engines. Like the three partners went their separate ways when the O partner went off to work full time for the Communist Party.
dvdmiranda584

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes