PLEASE CAN YOU HELP IN IDENTIFYING ENGINE MARKINGS?

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

PLEASE CAN YOU HELP IN IDENTIFYING ENGINE MARKINGS?

Postby Ziggy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:30 am

I have an old ED racer engine that has been hanging around for a few years now.
Having pulled it out recently to have another look at it I wondered if anyone can shed any light on the markings on the aly crankcase.
The engine started life as a 2.46 racer with exhaust manifold and has somewehere in its lifetime been tuned and modified and is now a 2.49,it was modified by a person with the name of R.B
I was told some time ago that this may well be a R Booth from the Midlands but I am unsure if this information is correct.

http://usera.imagecave.com/why/edracer001.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/why/edracer002.jpg
Ziggy

Postby ffkiwi » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:25 pm

Your Racer bears the serial number 'RB 149 ..last digit unreadable. Far from indicating a 'special' this is a normal ED Racer type serial number-which almost always start with the letter 'R'-the second letter is the production batch-'B' corresponding to February, and the remaining digits to the actual engine number in the batch. The last digit (which is unreadable on yours) indicates the year of manufacture-often separated by a / in the serial number. My own (mint) example of this model (the 4th series of the Racer) bears the serial number RJ134/9-indicating a manufacture date of September 1959 [you have to use a little guesswork, as the '9' could represent 1949, 1959 or 1969-except that there were no Racers in 1949, and in 1969 they were up to the mk6 or Super Racer.
Apart from that the only oddity is the fact that the serial number on yours is hand engraved rather than stamped-for Racers, the normal position is the edge of the right hand mounting lug. However, I have a later version of the same model which bears the serial number hand engraved below the RH lug, same as yours, reading 'RN 190.B' indicating a production batch of December, year unknown-but from other evidence I would put around 1960-62.
Apart from the removal the the exhaust stacks-which is a common modification to save weight, and a bit of external tidying up, there is no indication that your Racer has been modified internally.
I have never heard of any 'R Booth' being active in the modification tuning of ED Racers. The acknowledged master was the late Pete Buskell, who with extensive reworking could get them up to near Oliver tiger levels of performance. Without seeing the internals, it is impossible to tell whether you have a modified one or not-certainly the serial number is absolutely no indication of this.
ffkiwi[/i]
ffkiwi

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes