Removing OS FS-20 wrist pin

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Removing OS FS-20 wrist pin

Postby jaregalbuto » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:58 am

I have taken subject engine apart and need to remove the wristpin. I have removed the cylinder sleeve and can see the wristpin through cast hole in the cylinder. If the pin is stuck from rust/corrosion how can it be removed? It does not seem possible to get at the other(front) end of the wristpin.
HELP!!!!
Thanks
John Regalbuto
jaregalbuto

Postby fmimages » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:02 am

use patience mine falls out after i handle it for a while i turn it shake it etc. and finally it comes free!
fmimages

Postby Frank Klenk » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:18 am

John
Quite likely the pin is stuck, either in the rod or the piston. I think those pins are hollow? I can't remember for sure. If so get a small piece of dowel, sand a point on 1 end. Use a very small torch and heat up the rod end from under the piston, you don't need a lot of heat. Insert the dowel and try to rotate it. Keep trying this process until it's free. You may have to point the flame at the underside of the piston in the area where the pin goes through the piston. It also helps to cool things down with a good penetrant, also helps to shrink the pin a bit. This method works for me. Let us know what happens.

Frank 8)
Frank Klenk

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes