Any idea? Big, old RC car with K&B enigne.

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Any idea? Big, old RC car with K&B enigne.

Postby philbo427 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:24 am

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes. Thanks in advance for any info!

I was interested in buying an old RC car and it has a K&B 35 engine in it.

When I look on the web, I see K&B engines in air and marine applications, not usually for cars.

Do you know anything about this car? What company made this?

It's about 20 inches long, 10.5 inches wide, 2WD, on-road, McCoy exhaust, aluminum wheels with foam tires, brass SG gas tank, and a rear band type brake system.

Any idea? I want to see if you guys know if there are replacement parts for the engine/clutch/anything else on it!

Any idea how much I should pay? It comes with a very old Futaba radio.

Thanks much, Phil.

philbo427

Postby oldlugs » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:50 pm

Hi, no idea what the car is, but I'd guess maybe an old Associated or Delta...? K&B car engines were pretty common in the '70s and early '80s, and often used McCoy parts to make 'em more bulletproof. As far as a guess on price, it's really tough without seeing some pictures first... But I'd say, don't spend too much. While it's probably still fun to play with, you may have to dump some more $ into it to get it running reliably, and it'll probably never be competitive with modern 1/8 scale cars. Parts ARE available for the K&B engine, though I'm not sure about the very early piston/sleeve. If you're determined though, you can update that engine with more modern K&B parts, but you may need to replace a few. Good luck, and have fun!
oldlugs

Postby J Troncoso » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:51 am

With out seeing a photo of the car, it's hard to say what it could be, but back in the day my first car was a Heathkit Specter. It came with K&B .19 , well then it was a Veco.19. I wore out the Veco, so I installed an OS .35 with a homemade heat sink and had a grand old time. I dont think it went any faster, but it sounded nasty!
J Troncoso

Postby SteveM » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:47 am

That motor is likely a K&B 3.5cc (.21 cu in) and they were used in R/C cars back in the day. They used a large finned heatsink head to keep the motors cool.
SteveM

Postby clarkden » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Hello, no idea what the car
but K&B is the motor so condition should be good.

Clarkden

Remote control hobby shop
clarkden

Postby playtimeover » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:01 am

Hi to all, I haven't seen this car before. But I wanted also to see some pics of it. Can you?
playtimeover

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes