HB 61 - Problems getting NEW engine to run.

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

HB 61 - Problems getting NEW engine to run.

Postby Cyberwarrior101 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:44 pm

I have a NEW HB 61 Engine w/ perry carb that we've had in a box for years. It's in Perfect shape so we thought... Having LOTS of trouble keeping it running. The engine will start sputter and then die.. I read the posts regarding adjustments of the HIgh Speed needle and low, and have tried that.. I've finally put a 4 cycle plug in and it now runs.. the problem ?? It gets HOT.. It will only run with the needle 1 turn out.. very lean.. Then of course will over heat and die.. 2-3 turns it it barely runs, sometimes doesnt start.. I've changed the tank, checked for air leaks in the line, replaced the carb w/ another Perry carb I had on another HB 61 no luck..

At least now I can get it to run, but it runs lean and will eventually die.. If you richen it up, it will not run well nor will you get full power.. In fact full throttle will just eventually sputter and die.. ANY Help I can get would be appreciated.. Ive had nothing but trouble with this engine, yet it's practically brand new.. with the exception of the 4-5 tanks run through trying to get it to be nice..

Thank you!
Cyberwarrior101

Postby propwobble » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:58 am

There is a discussion on tuning Perry carbs on RCU that you might want to look into. Also if the engine has been sitting a long time there may be some dried oil or something in the carb that would benefit from disassembly and cleaning.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4028274

From your post though, it seems like you probably have done a fair amount of carb fiddling already. It sounded like dirt flapping around in the carb to me.

Could there be an air leak at the head or perhaps even the backplate?
The cylinder sleeve is located properly in the crankcase casting?
Failing that, I can't imagine what it could be short of some gross manufacturing defect. Maybe you should post in HB section below.

best of luck
propwobble

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes