HB .25

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

HB .25

Postby kennyk27 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:56 pm

i HAVE A .25HB ENGINE ON CARL GOLDBERG EAGLET. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS MOTOR OTHER THAN HARD TO START. TRIED MANY CARB SETTINGS, CHANGED TANKS. USED BOH .10 NITRO, .25NITRO AND MIXED.. VERY HARD START OR NOT AT ALL.. IF STARTED WILL STAY RUNNING..ANY IDEAS? WHAT IS A PERRY CARB; DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE ONE OR NOT..ONLY 1 SET SCREW...OTHER SCREW CONTROLS BARREL TRAVEL IN CARB.. ANY HELP REALLY APPRECIATED.
kennyk27

Postby Crash » Sun May 31, 2009 11:07 pm

How old is the engine and how long has it been since it was run? Perry carbs are usually made from a hard, black plastic material.
Crash

perry carb

Postby kennyk27 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:41 pm

i don't know the age.. was on a carl goldberg eagltimes I turn it overeew t i picked up..it looks clean. . black carb body... probably Perry.. This motor almost starts the first few times I turn it over.Subsequent attempts and it starts spitting uel out of the top of carb. I turn it leaner rom 3 turns to 2 & 2 AND A HALF.. seems that I only have maybe four attempts to start where it actually fires and runs a second or 2. Ready to try anothr perry carb or HP if it matches
kennyk27

Postby Crash » Sun May 31, 2009 11:44 pm

Is the fuel tank and carb on the same level? Sometimes an old model will have "gum" from leftover fuel. Once new fuel dissolves these little pieces of crud, sometimes the problem goes away.
Last edited by Crash on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crash

Postby Crash » Sun May 31, 2009 11:56 pm

I seem to have the best luck if the carburetor and the fuel tank stopper are centered. Try starting with the needle valve closed, then opened to one and one half turns. If it doesn't start, open valve 1/4 turn. Keep doing this until it starts then slowly open the valve until the engine "four cycles" then slowly close the valve until it two cycles but a little on the rich side.

If I have gotten too elementary please accept my apology, but this method has always worked for me.

Crash
Last edited by Crash on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Crash

perry carb

Postby kennyk27 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:58 pm

crash..

glad you asked that.. it wasn't before.. tank in fuselage was lower than the carburetor.. i put smaller tank on at near level and it almost starts and stays running the first few times i spin it..this may have something to do with my problem.. also I tried a mix of 10% and 25% fuel...maybe not so good..tried strait 10% nitro.. not any better....by the way is there a definite way to check adequate compression on these? it has a resistane and "pop" when I dry spin it, but can't feel any compression with my fingers.. some say the dykes rings on these motors don't indicate compression by feeling.. I may have a leak.. don't know.. any advice really appreciated crash.ken
kennyk27

carb

Postby max hansen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:41 am

Sounds like you have a Perry carb & you may as well now take it apart & clean it . Remove the needle valve & then the small "E"clip & work the brass or aluminum idle disc out . There is a hole & a small slot in the area between the two "O" rings . If there is any dirt or dried fuel in there they won't work properly. You may need the "O" rings replaced also . You should always use a fuel filter in the line on a PERRY . Good luck, MAX H. :D
max hansen

perry

Postby kennyk27 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:08 am

thanks max;

i have learned quite a bit about this already
kennyk27

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes