cleaning engine

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

cleaning engine

Postby kennyk27 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:52 pm

what is the best solution to clean carb parts and internal nitro engine parts? Is lacquer thinner too harsh? can I soak parts or just use a soft brush with cleaner?
kennyk27

cleaning engine

Postby Kalkan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 am

I just recently used this tried and true method.

Buy an old Crock Pot from Good-Will or other such place. Put all your engine parts in it and cover them with ordinary ethylene glycol antifreeze (like you use in your car radiator.) Set the crock pot on low and let the thing stew for at least 48 hours. All but the stubbornness varnish will come off. And no damage to the parts.

Kal
Kalkan

Postby chiefss » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Don't use antifreeze on painted engines like the old K&B greenheads or McCoy redheads. Takes the paint right off.
chiefss

Postby Handproper » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:40 pm

I recently returned to R/C flying after a 24 year hiatus. I have a Veco .61, HP .61, Webra Blackhead .61 and a Webra .61. I removed the engines from the airplanes, removed the glow plugs and using a fuel bulb completely filled them with denatured alcohol. I let them sit over night and then put a prop on them and turned them over both forwards and backwards. After dumping and pumping all the alcohol out (it came out dark and cruddy) I filled each with more alcohol and turned them over til it came out clean. I then filled them with marvel mystery oil, drained it out and started them. I now have many flights on each engine and they are running like new. As a point of interest, I am running them on 25 year old K & B 100 fuel.
Handproper

cleaning engines

Postby kennyk27 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 pm

thanks for the info.. makes sense to me.. I loaded down 2 4 stroke engines with mystery oil before I stored them 6 months ago.. hope they are alright.. didn't have after run or 'mystery machine oil' as someone recommended... we'll see
kennyk27

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes