K&B 35

An open forum for questions about any radio control engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

K&B 35

Postby dab65 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:01 pm

I have an old K&B 35 RC engine with a bolt on muffler and a black carb. I see little or nothing about 35s. Anyone ever hear of it. I would post picture but I don't know how.
dab65

K&B 35

Postby ron bennett » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:38 am

K&B did make several engines in .35 size. If it has "Torpedo" or "Stallion" it is a custmer-modified early engine of that model that has been fitted with a R/C carb.

It could be a Series 71 .35 engine. These have only K&B and .35 on the case. They have removalble front crankshaft housing an are a 'bright' finish - a very good ringed engine.

I it has a rear exhaust, it is not a .35 (cu in), it is a 3.5 (cc or .21 cu in) engine. K&B did make a .35 in this series of engines (refered to as the Metric engines), but its case is maked 5.8 (cc or .35 cu in).

Hope this helps.

Ron Bennett
ron bennett

Postby chiefss » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:20 am

K&B did make the Torpedo green head 35 as a factory produced model as was the Stallion 35. I have one and they are shown in the American Model Engine Encyclopedia.

The series 64 was also produced as an R/C version. There is no series 71 35 R/C or Stunt version.

There are no rear intake 35's shown in the Encyclopedia. Metric or otherwise.
chiefss

K&B 35

Postby ron bennett » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:43 am

I guess you need to get a book with newer listings. I have three K&B 5.8 engines - two front intake and one rear intake. These are production engines with the 5.8 cast into the bypass as opposed to the speical size metric engines K&B made like the 3.25, the 6.1 and the 6.6.

Ron Bennett

PS revisiting a past post, five of my Profi F2A engines, eight of my Cyclons (2.5s and Eagle 40s), three IR have Beryllium liners and my partner and I also have made and will make again beryllium liners. Yes, the fumes are toxic but all one needs is a good hood on their machinery and, with the super high cost of Beryllium, a very good scrap recovery system. A piece big enough to turn a liner for a 2.5 will cost you almost $100, so scrap recovery is very important - machining it is NOT for the home hobbyist.
ron bennett

Postby chiefss » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Funny how they aren't in either the Anderson's Blue Book or the Model Engine Encyclopedia. I tend to believe them.

You also said any K&B Torpedo or Stallion R/C must have been owner modified. Not true either.
chiefss

K&B 35

Postby ron bennett » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Tim Daniel's and Anderson's are both very good references; Tim's book stops in 1975 shortly after the 6.6 came out but it does not list the 3.5 or the 3.25 that came out the following year. And, they both lack (Aderson's more than Tim's book) lack in depth lisitng of lesser production engines like Nelson, DJS and others. K&B listings also miss special run engines like the Wiznewski/Gillot .65 and the 6.6 metric engines.

The MECA Journal had a very in depth listing on K&B a few years back that you wuld do well to read.

The 5.8 was introduced in April 1977 at the same time as the 4.9 engine. The 7.5 came out a few months later. I can supply you with photos of these engines if you have never seen them.

Ron Bennett
ron bennett

K&B 35

Postby ron bennett » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:00 pm

A full test report of the K&B 5.8 appeared in Model Airplane News 8-77 - a magazine that is also a good source that you might want to add to your look up tables.
ron bennett

Postby chiefss » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:37 pm

You said any Stallion 35 or Torpedo 35 with a carburettor would have had to have been modified by the owner which is not true. Both the Stallion and the greenhead Torpedo 35's came from the factory as an R/C engine with a carb

The 5.8 was released in 1976 and was designed as a C/L combat engine. I have pictures of them
chiefss

Re: K&B 35

Postby TuffsNotEnuff » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:25 am

dab65 wrote:I have an old K&B 35 RC engine with a bolt on muffler and a black carb. I see little or nothing about 35s.

Funny the arguing about collector info and research sources. Is anything available to maintain and upgrade the .35s ? Making your own square u-bolt-on replacement muffler is simple enough, but upgrading the head bolts and getting other support ? Apparently the .40s are the oldest for today's K&B.

Personally, a .25-.29 on a Flight Streak clone is still a world of fun for kids. Even with a muffler its louder than most Wiis.

If you get solid info on resources, please post up to this thread.
TuffsNotEnuff

Return to Radio Control Glow Engines for Airplanes