some question about diesel motor

An open forum on any model diesel engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

some question about diesel motor

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:09 pm

helo guys . I need a information about diesel model engines (for beginers) with all explanations (with scheme) ?!. Also i want to find how Compression Screw work ?! (i dont understand some things)
All infomation would help.
tnx
:wink:

Postby sys32 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:48 am

No one can help me ? :(
please someone ???
sys32

diesel

Postby Rustler » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:28 pm

Hi. Very briefly - for running in use a prop with a bit less pitch and maybe a bit more diameter than a flying prop. (This supposes you don't have manufacturers instructions). A good fuel would be 40 Kerosene/30 Ether/30 Castor. And about 2% ignition additive. This is not essential, but makes it run a little better.
Screw the compression down until you feel the piston hit when you turn it over. Then back it off 1.5 turns. Close the exhaust with the piston, wash the side of the piston with fuel, then let what sticks to the piston into the engine. Flip the prop good and hard, and with luck you'll fire out the prime. When you've repeated this a few times hook up the tank, open the needle 3 turns, and try again. With luck it will draw fuel through and keep running. Close the needle until it misfires a little. Increase the compression to eliminate the missfire. Close the needle some more, kepp repeating until the engine labours and runs slower instead of faster. Then return to previous settings.
Try this for starters and let us know how you get on. Eric Clutton in the U.S. has stocks of diesel products, and will be willing to help I suspect. Sorry don't have contact details. :)
Rustler

Postby erik58 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:43 am

the compression screw controls the timing scewing it in advances it and turning it out retards it. if you could get Eric Cluttons book would be a a big help (thats how I learned) good luck Erik58 :wink:
erik58

Postby Rustler » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:51 pm

Furhter thoughts. Backing the compression off 1.5 turns still may not be a correct setting, but it's usually a good starting point. Once the engine is running, back the compression off until the engine missfires. Then you will know it is not overcompressed, and can take it from there.
Rustler

Postby sys32 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:20 pm

tnx for information guys ! but i need to know how that works(compression screw)>> some schemes would be good ? I dont understand how this screw work inside ciylinder
I`m gona make one engine so i need to know this, and everything about diesel engines ! I have some schemes in my head now, and soon im gona start to work on my engine :wink:
Tnx
sys32

Postby Rustler » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:16 pm

The comp. screw bears against the contrapiston. The contrapiston is like another piston in the top of the cylinder. The shape usually matches the piston shape in reverse. If the piston is cone shaped the contra will have a recessed matching cone. The contra is a much tighter fit than the piston, it has to be gas-proof, but slack enough to move when adjusted by the comp. screw. Turning the screw down forces the contra down and increases the compression ratio. Back the comp. screw off and the combustion pressure forces the contra back up again. Are you building a diesel from scratch? Good luck. Can be done by any competant machinist.
Rustler

Postby giffy » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:47 pm

What are you going to use the engine for? Is this just a school prodject or something?

Giffy 8)
giffy

Postby sys32 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:59 am

Rustler: i`m building this from scratch !
giffy: I making this for my soul :) dont want to use in any model or something.
sys32

Postby Rustler » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:11 pm

Do let us have some photos, of progress and the finished article! We will all enjoy them. :D
Rustler

Postby sys32 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:09 am

yes shure i`m gona post some fotos when i finish it ! Now i search for information .... beta plans :) (sorry for bad eng.)
sys32

Postby Rustler » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:38 pm

Hello again sys32. Are you looking for plans? there are quite a few available. Are you looking for any particular type of engine? E.G. Vintage? Sport? Classic? Contest? A good source is a book published by "The Motor Boys" with several plans in it, of various engines. Sorry I don't have address, but someone could post it here for you.
Rustler

Postby Frank Klenk » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:45 am

Hi
Roger Schroeder sells several casting kits, he is a Motor Boy. Also my son in law AJC is a motor boy and sells quite a lineup of castings. Here is the link to Roger's webpage. I can email you AJC's info if you wish, just let me know.

http://archive.dstc.edu.au/BDU/staff/ron/rsch/

Frank :)
Frank Klenk

Postby CharlesF » Sat May 27, 2006 3:27 am

You need to develop a "feel" for diesels, I can't put it in any other way.

But beware of using an electric starter, if it's over-compressed you will bend the con rod or break the crankpin / web. I know, I've done it on a hard to start diesel!

But once you are used to them, diesels are really great and I prefer them to glo motors, especially in the smaller sizes.
CharlesF

Postby tag » Sat May 27, 2006 2:43 pm

Frank

Could you send AJC's info to me? I am just getting started in engine machining and would like to see what is available.

Thanks
Tom
tag

Postby Frank Klenk » Sat May 27, 2006 6:50 pm

Tom
I sent you a PM.

Regards ... Frank :)
Frank Klenk

Return to Model Diesel Engines