Engine recommendation

An open forum on any model diesel engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Engine recommendation

Postby JIM SHAMBLIN » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:21 pm

Is a "CS 21" a good engine for control line?
Jim
JIM SHAMBLIN

Postby loucrane » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:43 pm

Jim,

though I'm unfamiliar with all CS engines except the Silver Swallow and Jin Shang (If both were made by what later became CS...).

By reputation, and a few mag articles, CS has made some very high performance engines, but QC may be a bit spotty. By high performance, I mean extreme high RPM. One article I recall dealt with fitting a 1/2A or .06 (metric half-A: 1cc) for a proto speed model.

If the .21 diesel CS is a basic sport engine like the SS and Jin-Shang, those at least worked well and reliably -- the 21 might, also.

However, if it were a useful, easy to set up engine, I suspect someone would have made that known by now.

Personally, I'd be a bit leery -- but then I can afford to be, with more than a lifetime's supply of strong 15s and 19s already on hand.

Best luck!.. and if you do try it, and find it good, let us know?
loucrane

Postby giffy » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Here's my experiance with CS..... buy something else.

What kind of control line plane did you have in mind?

Giffy 8)
giffy

Thanks for the input

Postby JIM SHAMBLIN » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:51 pm

Giffy,
I did not get it on ebay. It was too high priced for my ebay guidelines and then based on your comments, I really passed. I wanted to try a diesel in a stunt plane, about a 19 to 25 size. I am in no hurry, I already have more projects in progress than I can finish. I have always used either an ignition engine or more recently a glo engine and was interested in a different approach. Sometime I will buy a diesel, probably a new one from the manufacturer or distributor.
Thanks, Jim
JIM SHAMBLIN

Postby Jim Thomerson » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:31 pm

Your best bet is to get a PAW in that size range. PAW makes a variety of models. Look up Progress Aero Works to find their website. Eric Clutton or Carlson Imports are US sources.

Jim
Jim Thomerson

Return to Model Diesel Engines