I have an Indian Mills 1.5 and
would like to get a set of specs.
eg, bore & stroke, prop size, etc.
Anything at all about this motor.
Anybody have one?

linktrain
linktrain

Postby gossie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:19 am

Try about a 9x4 prop. Should be about right, but it should be okay from an 8x4 to a 10x6.

I have an original 1.3 and an Indian 1.3 and find those props suit them.

Good fuel is 1/3 Kero. 1/3 Castor. 1/3 Ether.

Sorry not sure of the bore & stroke #s.

Some of the Indian Mills engines have issues, but mine is good, hope yours is.

www.pelaero.com.au in Melbourne Victoria Australia has some spares, for them, as well as lots of other aeromodelling stuff. Good luck.
gossie

Postby loucrane » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:10 pm

Link,

I have a K-Diesel Mills 1.5 (Aurora, Calcutta) with a generic instruction sheet. No individual specs or performance numbers in the box, just a recommendation - as Gossie posted - basic 1:1:1 fuel, containing up to 2.5% amyl nitrate if available.

Prop recommendations are in there, though: 8-6, 8-8, or 9-4.

Break-in recommendations: Bench runs, short, approx 5 minute duration, followed by full cool-down, repeated until at least 1/2 hour total time.

It starts and runs well, but, like the 0.75, seems so slow and quiet I haven't worked up courage to fly it yet.

Note: (if you haven't observed this yet) it is a sideport engine and can run equally well either way. Best for sure starts in the proper direction is a fairly hefty prop (APC, Master, e.g.) and a sharp flick in the intended direction.
loucrane

Postby viking61 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:48 am

I had both the .75cc and the 1.5cc. Both started easy and ran good. The 1.5cc was very nice and the .75cc was ok. I was happy with both and price was very reasonable. I regret selling the 1.5cc engine as now I have the FF bug again and vechile to use them.
cheers/Viking61
viking61

Postby ffkiwi » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:48 pm

First are you sure it IS a 1.5? The standard sizes of Mills are 0.75cc and 1.3cc (nominal) -exact copies of the original British manufactured Mk-II versions of the 0.75cc and 1.3cc. The Indians DID do (and may still do) 1cc and 1.5cc versions of the 75 and 1.3. These can be distinguished by their gold anodised cylinder fins-the only external difference. [they also do the disc valve Mills 2.4 and a 3.5cc version] If your '1.5' does not have a gold head then it is almost certainly a 1.3cc (0.08 cu in)
Propwise there would be no difference between a 1.3 and the 1.5 and you should be looking at the 9x4-10x3 1/2 range (preferably nylon or wood-since these have thinner hubs)
Some of the previous replies give you some good info on fuel-Mills tend to like a little bit of nitrate or DII in the fuel-but will run perfectly well on a straight brew.[/i]
ffkiwi

Postby viking61 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:21 pm

Engine was marked Mill's 1.5 with Gold colored cooling fins. this was India made engine. Quite nice for the price and smooth runner. Problem it was not SAM legal at time I purchased it from Areo-Dyne. Verry easy to start and adjust. I also purchased a Russian 1.5cc Elfin that was way to tight. I hand lapped piston with 1200 grit paper and oil. It is a wonderful runner. I just unpaced my FF planes after a couple if years in storage. Removed the Elfin for service and it reall a nice engine. I have it in a Midway copy of Sal Tabi 54" Powerhouse. Mucho power but great combo.
dan
viking61

Return to Model Diesel Engines