Russian Mapp 2.5 cc Diesel

An open forum on any model diesel engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Russian Mapp 2.5 cc Diesel

Postby rockindaddy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:39 pm

Mecoa markets a little Russian 2.5 diesel with a fixed venturi carb. I made a new back plate and used an Enya .09 carb. Also added an exhaust pipe to the collector ring around the cylinder. This little diesel is a jem! Liked it so much I bought another one. The Christmas sale is on now which lists them for $35. Gona grab another one before they are all gone! Hope to install them on some .15 ~.25 size r/c planes this winter so they will be ready this spring. I mix my own fuel with a 25% mix of castor and Klotz oil, 40% kerosene, and 35% starting fluid. The motor hand starts easily and swings a 10-6 prop quite well!
rockindaddy

MAPPS (MARZ) 2.5cc Diesel

Postby William Hanshaw » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:34 am

I recently obtained a MAPPS/MARZ 2.5cc diesel and it runs very well. I was told that these Russian motors were mostly built during the Cold War to prove that the USSR could build motors as good as the West. They were inexpensive to buy in Russia, but their quality varied a lot and some were not even runnable, so I was told to look them over well before buying. Mine was NIB and I guess I was lucky as it runs fine (but runs very hot). I use DDD standard fuel with a little castor added for security. I'm glad I have one! :)
William Hanshaw

Map 2.5

Postby viking61 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:44 am

I had one and it was fine right from the first run. Easy to adjust and decent engine. I guess quality depended on how much Russian potato juice they had when making them. :?:
viking61

MAPP

Postby MarisD » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Yes. With a bit of tidying up most of them run fine. Until the crankshaft breaks. These engiens all seen to go that way eventually, but can eb good fun in the meanwhile.

In my testing, the exhaust ring hurts power output. If yo ucan cope with the noise, try reversing the exhaust ring so it hangs down over the cranckase, givign the exhaust a free path.

Maris
MarisD

Return to Model Diesel Engines