Heron 1 cc

An open forum on any model diesel engines

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Heron 1 cc

Postby Manne » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:55 am

Hi Everyone,
I have an old Heron 1cc diesel which I am trying to get back from the dead. The last time I ran a diesel was when I was about 13 (many, many years ago. Here's a hint, Ian Smith had not declared UDI in Rhodesia)
The engine has been cleaned and I have managed to get it to fire, but only after priming a little fuel in the port. I do not know what the correct setting for the needle valve or the compression should be. I have initially set the needle valve to 3 turns open and the compression at a point where the engine fires. Can anyone give me some pointers?
Manne

Postby Jim Thomerson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:01 am

In your situation, I would not connect the fuel line, but head prime and fiddle with compression until it fires and runs the prime out. Then attach fuel line, open needle half a turn. Choke once, head prime and flip. Open the needle half a turn at a time until it will keep running. A flooded diesel is very hard to get started. Once it starts you will probably need to back the compression off a little, and then fiddle with the needle to see what it does.
Jim Thomerson

Postby gossie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Check the spraybar is not blocked.
Needle 3 or 4 turns open, tube onto spraybar and blow hard into it to be sure the little hole/holes are open.

Fresh fuel.......Good all round mix is 1 part kero, 1 part castor, 1 part ether, and add 2% ipn or dii if you wish......but not really needed to get it running.

Big prop. for flywheel effect.......9X4 would be good.

Motor well bolted down. Tank close and same height as engine. Needle open 3 or 4 turns. Choke fuel to carb. Prime into exhaust with piston UP at top. Flick hard, and if it has compression it must go.

Good luck.
gossie

Heron 1cc diesel

Postby Manne » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks Jim and Gossie,
I will apply your recommendations and see how we go.
Regards Manne
Manne

Return to Model Diesel Engines