Cox .049 cylinder porting

Post all the small engines stuff here. Cox, Wen-Mac, Testors, Spitzy, Wasp, Holland Hornet, Atwood, Aurora, Gilbert, etc.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Postby gossie » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:47 pm

I can't stand cheats. Rules are rules, and if you don't like them make an effort to change things.
Perhaps with the 'required' cylinders being hard to get the TD ones could be used in the future?????

Are the place getters engines ever pulled down?

In OZ we fly 1.5 plain bearing FF power, much the same as UK and NZ, called OZDIESEL here, and there has been some talk of PAWs with shaft bearings being used because they look the same as the plain one and it's very hard to tell.

Pull the winners down is what I said----er, bit hard mate. DUH. Stupid.

You should see the 2 stroke PWC (Jetskis) pulled down after winning and placing in racing. Takes no time at all and happens all the time to keep everybody honest.
gossie

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:12 pm

>get the TD ones could be used in the future?????

That's something for the NFFS to address. The purpose of the Medallion was to have an engine comparable to the expensive Holland Hornet that was more easily available .. but they're getting harder to find (has anyone got a spare one NIB or NN, pretty please????).

The distinction between slit and rectangular exhausts in this instance is sufficent to denote a 'legal' Medallion, so no need to pull down engines for inspection.

My PAW 1.5's have very dissimilar cases - the PB bearing is much slimmer than the BB version - and the engine's significantly lighter, too. My puzzle with those is that the PB regularly fires off in the reverse direction, the BB never does it..
Jim

Postby chiefss » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:43 pm

The Medallion was Cox' wimpy front induction engine. Had round intake port in shaft and a smaller venturi. The TD was on par with the holland Hornet and the plugs were easier to find and cheaper.
chiefss

Postby Jim » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:01 pm

>The Medallion was Cox' wimpy front induction engine. Had round intake port in shaft and a smaller venturi.

Slim down the spraybar, bore out the venturi (both Cox mods, legal for Nostalgia), feed it lots of nitro from a pacifier .. and it's a healthy little engine.
Jim

Postby gossie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:10 am

I have even seen a Medallion that the owner used the Dremel to grind the sleeve inside like a Tee Dee to give it more oomph.

Quite legal as was/is used in Open Power. It may well have had the venturi bored as well, but I don't know if it did or not.
gossie

Postby Jim » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:41 pm

>Quite legal as was/is used in Open Power.

NFFS would consider that as illegal 'reworking'. The two mods I mentioned in previous reply came from Cox 'hints and tips' and so are recognised as legal for Nostalgia
Jim

1/2A and alike

Postby layback2 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:18 pm

Let me ask were you found the Cox 'hints and tips' at please i do not rase but would like to beef up a few of my cox engines all ready have a td with a rc carb i added thanks
layback2

Postby Jim » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:53 pm

Layback ... decades ago LeRoy Cox issued some bulletins, one of which detailed the boring of a Medallion .049 plastic venturi and also thinning the spraybar. I've never seen one of these bulletins but it's common knowledge amongst the Nostalgia people and the modifications are recognised as legal by NFFS.

Bear in mind, though, if you do these things you then have to run pacifier pressure fuel feeds ... not enough 'draw' for suction.
Jim

Return to 1/2A and alike