Wen Mac recoil starter

Post all the small engines stuff here. Cox, Wen-Mac, Testors, Spitzy, Wasp, Holland Hornet, Atwood, Aurora, Gilbert, etc.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Wen Mac recoil starter

Postby wock » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:10 pm

I want to fix up an old Wen Mac with a busted recoil starter. Are these repairable? How do you even get the drive washer off of the thing? Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Bob

P.S. I want to use it to get my son started in early nostalgia
wock

Postby walt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:50 am

That's something I'd like the answer to also. If you find an answer anywhere, please post it here.
TIA
walt

Postby rick32559 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:07 pm

I had an old Wen-Mac and Many McCoy .049s. I used to repair the starter springs by taking the prop washer off revealing the spring mechanism. 99% of the time, the spring breaks where the end is bent around the inside part that attaches to the crank. the repair is similar to a lawn mower pull start spring. once you open the spring case you will see where the spring broke next to the crank. You remove the spring re- bend the end where it broke. re compress the spring and set it back into the spring housing ..make sure you have enough turns on the spring to fit it back into the housing and you should be good to go. once you open this thing up up it should be self explanatory. Thank You and Good Luck; Fred
rick32559

Postby wock » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:02 pm

I lucked out, I picked up a Wen Mac on ebay. The seller wasn't familiar enough with engines to tell me whether the recoil starter still worked. I got it and the whole thing was pretty gummed up. After I hosed it out with some carb cleaner and lubed it the prop snaps right around with some authority 8) . Still it's good to hear that some of them can probably repaired. The engine is my son's first so the recoil starter seemed like a good way to break him in to starting the little beasts.

Thanks for the info! Bob
wock

Postby walt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:36 pm

Yeah, many thanx. I'll take a good look at one of mine.
walt

Postby Puffie40 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 pm

To get the drive washer off, strip the motor down to the crankcase, place it on it's back, and tap the crank with a soft-faced hammer. If you need to give it a good whack, slip a nut on the threads and use a brass drift.

DO NOT PRY IT OFF. That "Washer" is actually a one-way clutch, and any dents in the back will affect its function.

to reassemble, make sure the washer engages the two flats inside the clutch, insert the crank in the back, then torque on a old propeller (Use some flatwashers, new 10-24 nuts and the proper wrenches!) to seat the crank.
Puffie40

Return to 1/2A and alike