rusted piston to cylinder problem

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

rusted piston to cylinder problem

Postby Tom Weedon » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:16 am

A common problem when restoring old engnes is the issue of a cast iron piston rusted to a steel sleeve. Any suggestions on how to free up?

Tom Weedon
Tom Weedon

Stuck

Postby max hansen » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:31 am

I have had my best luck with a propane torch . If there is NO aluminum involved Muriatic acid will eat rust ,but use caution as it will rust any thing in a two foot area around it . Good luck, MAX H.
max hansen

Postby giffy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:51 pm

Take the head off, soak it with penitrating oil then beat it down with an aluminum rod and hammer while trying to turn the shaft. Sounds crude but, it will take more abuse than you think if you do it carefully. If it really doesn't want to move then drop back and punt, don't ram it home.

Giffy 8)
giffy

stuck

Postby max hansen » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:57 pm

Giffy , let me know how that works with a Ohlsson & Rice . MAX H. :lol:
max hansen

Postby Jim Thomerson » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:11 pm

Here is something I have heard of and would like for someone to try on one of their stuck engines. If the piston is up past the exhaust and bypass ports, take the glow plug out and fill the upper cylinder with water. Replace the glow plug with an old burned out one. Put in the freezer. When the water freezes into ice, it will expand and something will give. Hopefully the stuck piston. Let us know how it works for you. :shock:

Jim
Jim Thomerson

stuck

Postby max hansen » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:57 pm

Here's a couple of more I have had mixed results with. IF the piston is above the exhaust opening I have filled the area in the cylinder with Liquid Wrench replaced the plug & heated the cylinder , they do let off a loud "POP' when the fluid goes past the piston BUT most times it don't do it all the way around. Next I have welded a 1/8" pipe nipple on a gutted glow plug, added a 1/8" coupling & a 1/8" grease zerk & used a grease gun on the zerk , if the piston is again above the exhaust port something will give ! I have used both of these on O&R engines & a 25 hp single cylinder stationary engine , the big one we filled the cylinder with oil first . These work with blind bore cylinders best . I still like a lot of heat ! MAX H. :lol:
max hansen

Postby Frank Klenk » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:05 pm

Try coca cola. Sounds crazy, but it works. I had a McCoy with a stuck piston and the liner would not come out of the case either. Coke will eat rust like cray. Try it.

Frank
Frank Klenk

Postby jcarrion » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:57 pm

I put "mistery oil" (I am serious ) . Or , -it not awailable - Diesel . Does wonders .

In extreme cases , try phospforic acid , but bear in mind that you ll need to re-sleeve the piston .

most normal cases , diesel , plus a timber lenght pushed by a hammer will free the rusted pistons.
www.spannerheads.com
jcarrion

Stuck pistons

Postby jerry1927 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:01 pm

I freed up a McCoy MCCR engine in a teardrop car by using 2-stroke oil, heated. I "cooked' the engine at about 250-300 degrees for several minutes then worked the shaft until the piston moved. Of course, the problem was more due to gum and gook than rust. The engine was saved and appeared to be unharmed. After completely disassembling the engine, I was able to clean out the cud, using various solvents. Keep in mind that painted surfaces will not take kindly to this treatment.
Possibly, Marvel oil would also serve in this manner if it does not have too low a flash or ignition temperature. WARNING! Don't heat any oil over an open flame or very hot element!!
Be extremely cautious when trying to push a stuck piston with some kind of rod. There will be a very good chance you will succeed in poking a hole through the piston crown. If that happens, you will be S.O.L. and pretty much on your own.
Jerry
jerry1927

Postby pchall » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:31 pm

I immerse engines in a mix of power steering fluid and penetrating oil. I usually use a Pyrex bowl so I can cover the bowl and warm the solution in an old crock pot. Sometimes I've left the cylinder/piston in the solution for a couple of weeks before getting any results.

When the rust busting solution is good and dirty but the piston hasn't come unstuck, I've had success with a wooden down and small hammer to tap the piston down.
pchall

Postby dedaddy007 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:12 pm

I have had great success cleaning steel and iron parts using EVAPORUST. The web site is www.theruststore.com. I heard that Harbor Freight has it in some stores

The military uses it to disolve the rust off tank engines. It does not touch anything except rust. It uses a chealation process to replace the oxygen in iron-oxide with sulfer. The resulting iron-sulfide is a black powder that can be washed off with water. It is ph neutral and can be disposed of down the drain.

I used evaporust to disolve the rust in a set of bearings from a RRV McCoy 29. The bearings were completely frozen and after a 24 hour soak the would turn and I could clean them out. The engine runs great now. I had a crankshaft the was a big lump of rust after being recovered from a flood of 20 years ago. A soak and scrubbing with a brush cleaned it right up.

I have not had to free up a rusted piston/cylinder, all mine were varnished together. I used dishwashing soap and an ultrasonic cleaner to solve that problem.

DO NOT put non-ferrous parts in evaporust. While it does not seem to hurt it, it get a real stained look. Also, evaporust removes blueing since that is a form of rust.

Try it on your stuff. Use a plastic food container with enough solution to totally immerse the part. Let it sit for several hours and then remove the parts and brush them off under a running stream of water. If rust remains, repeat the process.

What really works is using evaporust in a heated ultrasonic cleaner. It even cleans up screw threads.

Hope this helps. sorry for the length

Lee
dedaddy007

Postby iamplanecrazy2 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Some interesting methods have been posted. I'll have to try them out.
I particularly like the suggestions on pistons stuck above the exhaust port.
I stay away from chemicals when there are other viable options.
I have had excellent luck with heat. I use a heat gun.

Tom
iamplanecrazy2

Postby chiefss » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Did you solve the rusted piston and sleeve problem?? And if you did how? I have an aero 35 that has that problem. There are zero parts available and the engine is kind of delicate so I don't want to break anything.
chiefss

Postby USMC » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:57 pm

Try using berryman carb cleaner, spray the area with this & let it soak for a couple min. next use singer sewing machine oil put it every where, next use "Tri-Flow" superior dry lubricant. next use a wood dowel and litely tap.

good luck,
USMC & Viking...! & Little Jack...! :)
USMC

Return to General Engine Tech Talk