Veco .19 New. Hard to keep running.

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Veco .19 New. Hard to keep running.

Postby rootbeard » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:34 pm

I won this engine at a contest this summer and would like to put it on my son's flight streak.
The engine was new in a box and the needle was still in the package. When I tried to screw the needle in it would only go in three turns. I could nto see any reason why it would not screw in. Not crossed threaded. It seemed like the needle was too long. I kept working with it and got it to screw in about 9 turns, but the needle still will not seal off all the way.
The engine will start, run blubbler for about 15 seconds then go lean and shut down. I tighten the backplate bolts about 1/8 of a turn as did two of the head bolts. Still it will not run.
I think I need a new NVA.

Anyone have any clues?
Thanks
Paul
rootbeard

Postby gossie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:53 am

If it's running lean and shutting down open the needle valve a couple of turns, then it will be 7 turns to being out.
gossie

Postby rootbeard » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:19 am

I have opend it a 1/4 of a turn each time I start it, until it is 3 turns from falling out, and then I think it gets flooded.
It is something with this NVA.
rootbeard

Postby gossie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:56 pm

Well screw it in a 1/4 turn from where you have it now then.

Is the engine new? ie. Unrun, if so may need breaking in on a mild nitro mix----what is your fuel mix?

Does it keep running with the leads still conected?
If it shuts down when the leads are off then maybe the fuel is not up to it or the plug is too cold.
gossie

Postby rootbeard » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:30 am

I turned it in another turn and got it to run about 2 oz. Longest run so far.
Maybe I am on the right track. I will keep ya posted.

Paul
rootbeard

Postby gossie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:35 pm

Sounding good, and like it's had no previous running.

Be sure to run it on a small prop. too----don't load it up. 8x4 should do.

Run it fairly fast for about one minute then shut it down until it's cold, then do it again several times 'till it holds a steady setting. Good luck.
gossie

Postby loucrane » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:00 pm

Paul,

You haven't mentioned your setup to run your engine. Are you using a test stand, or just have it in the model?

I'd recommend a test stand for this; you can control many more things, and better.

Fuel tank relative height may be involved. If the tank is too low, relative to the needle valve, getting a needle setting that will draw for choke priming could be too rich when the engine starts turning and can draw fuel solidly.

If the tank is too high, it will flood the engine very easily while trying to start, and a needle setting that prevents that may be too lean for steady running.

Did you get instructions with the engine? I have a pdf of the 1971 K&B owners' manual I could attach to you if you need it. ...and if you can accept a rather large pdf file... Dial-up would be a long wait; and depending on the file size your system can handle, it might not get through.
loucrane

Return to General Engine Tech Talk