Modela Twin CO2

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Modela Twin CO2

Postby Ed Toner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:27 am

I have had a new Modela Twin for some time now, and I decided to use it. I have installed it in an English Electric Wren, (1" = 1') 37" span, my own plan.

1923 - The Lympne (Kent, England) Motor Glider Competitions begin. The main prizes are awarded to pilots of the English Electric Wren and the ANEC monoplane, both of which managed to fly 87.5 miles (140.8km) on one gallon of fuel.

http://www.largemodelassociation.com/ro ... r_wren.htm

This motor is apparently a Cottage Industry product, all metal unlike the standard Modela. I can't recall how I picked it up, and I cannot locate any operating instructions, etc..

I put it in the WREN just because it looks right. I like the WREN because although a 1922 English 1 off. racer, it has no external bracing wires, and the nearest thing to retractable LG.

The proportions of the WREN are not good for FF scale due to the tiny horizontal stab., but I am increasing it span wise so it should be OK in that department.

The next drawback is the prop clearance, which limits prop dia. to about 5.5". I started building with a Cox Pee Wee in mind, modified by turning the tank 90 degrees and having the cylinder as in an opposed twin, with a dummy cylinder opposite. This allows the tank to remain upright.

The prop I had in mind is a Top Flight 25, 5.5" X 4 nylon. This brings me to the point of this thread - Does the Modela Twin run with such a small prop? I know these CO2 motors are best for slow revving, large props.

I have never run this motor, but I assume it running at full capacity would overpower the WREN, therefore an inefficient prop/rpm would prove adequate.

Opinions, please.
Ed Toner

Postby gossie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:44 pm

Why not set it up on the bench, bolt the prop. on and see how much air it blows. That should give you a reasonable idea if it's going to work.

I have seen a couple of Wrens in model form fly over the years---diesel powered, from the 50s Aeromodeller plan.
They fly well, but as you say need more stab. area as most scalies do.

Took a close look at the real one a few years ago too at Old Wardon, whilst on holiday in the UK. Just like a big model.

Have you done a 'Google' on it? Plenty of info. about the Old Wardon one. Good luck.
gossie

Postby Ed Toner » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gossie - Yes, I got a lot from GOOGLE.

Not much deatail to mess with with - I like that.
Ed Toner

Return to General Engine Tech Talk