Someone build a volks-wankel..

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Someone build a volks-wankel..

Postby dustyattic » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:25 pm

Hello everyone, it's my first post here.

Briefly, why is OS the only company building a Wankel rotary engine for R/C? I assume it must be patent issues, unless OS uses machines that are unavailable to the rest of the world.

I asked this question in another forum, and the majority of the replies involved the precision of the housing shape, the perfection of the finishes, and the quality of materials. So..the question still stands; why only OS??

What I am getting at, is CNC technology is available to anyone who can afford it. Why isn't china knocking off the OS wankel for half the price?

The good people at MECOA replied to an email about this and gave me this link. They said they made this 1.20 Wankel once and the cost was about $1200 if I remember correctly!

So any ideas why china isn't flooding the market with Wankels?

http://www.mecoa.com/hp/wr/wr.htm
dustyattic

Wankel

Postby chiefss » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:54 pm

Wankel holds the patent and Graupner holds the rights to manufacture model engines and they licensed to OS to make them. OS was going to make a twin rotor 60 but could not get the rights to do so.

The first OS wankels had problems with the rotor tips sealing. The second versuion solved that problem. The is the PI- 49 type. 49 is 4.9 cc's or .30 CID and the PI stands fpr peripheral induction.
chiefss

Postby MECOA » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:35 pm

Actually the patents ran out quite some time ago. I don't think China could/would try it because it is really a pain to make them right. The qty's don't justify it to make any money.
MECOA
Site Admin

wankel engine

Postby chiefss » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:49 pm

If the patents ran out, why aren't other companies making wankel engines and why didn't OS make the twin rotor 60 they wanted to make?? Granted they don't sell many but how many of the new inline 4 cylinder engines do you think they will sell? I bet they would sell more wankels. The current one has been on the market for 37 years, longer than any other engine they have ever made. Just a question.
chiefss

Postby motoguzziman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:11 am

If Chinese cannot make cheap copy then they don't bother. I guess that is why they took over Rover cars.
motoguzziman

Return to General Engine Tech Talk