OS WANKEL 49 DOUBT.

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

OS WANKEL 49 DOUBT.

Postby Merco 35 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:56 am

Hello all.
A friend has recently purchased what appears to be a NIB OS 49 Wankel. The jewel arrived without muffler in the box and the seller (from Germany) is telling him that OS doesn´t sell the engine including muffler in Germany, althought I doubt it, knowing the restrictive noise laws in this country.
Does someone has the engine? Is a muffler suplied in the stock equipement? Some of you know if Graupner in Germany is excluding the mufflers from the standard engine?

Thanks very much for your time.
Manuel Cortés.
Merco 35

Graupner

Postby WimBlommaert » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 am

Yes, they sell them without muffler, even without glowplug....

Wim
WimBlommaert

Postby chiefss » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 pm

I have all three versions of the OS Wankel and they all come with a muffler. The ones that Tower Hobbies sells today all come with a muffler. There is really no way to attach an after market muffler. Tower is the sole importer of OS products in the US.

They are very noisy without a muffler. They also come with a glowplug as the Wankel uses a special OS plug. It uses an OS Type RE plug. Any long reach plug can damage the engine.
chiefss

Graupner

Postby WimBlommaert » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:10 pm

In Europe, we mostly have more than one distributor for OS engines (We certainly do in Belgium).

On the majority of the OS engines sold through Graupner, no muffler or glow plug is included, while engines sold through other distributors do include them. Never understood this with Graupner. The original exhaust was sold as an optional accessory.

Just wanted to react to this old post: the seller most probably was honest in saying the muffler was never included. If he still has the original box, he may be able to confirm if if was sold by Grauper, as they generally stuck a sticker on the underside of the box with the spare parts list.

Just my 0.2 cents...

Wim
WimBlommaert

PS

Postby WimBlommaert » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:12 pm

PS, if it was purchased in germany, you can be 99% sure the seller was telling the truth, as -certainly in those days before internet-this engine will have been sold originally by Graupner.

Wim
WimBlommaert

Postby chiefss » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:55 pm

I think you will find that all OS Wankels have Graupner on the box. All of mine do and one was purchased in Japan and the others in the states. Graupner bought the rights to manufacture the engine and contracted OS to produce them. They are the only OS engine to have the Graupner name on the box. The only Muffler that will fit them is the one made by OS.
chiefss

Postby fersanda4 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:28 pm

interesting information!!! thank you!!!
fersanda4

Postby WimBlommaert » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:45 pm

have a look here:

http://www.graupner.de/de/products/c697 ... ccessories

You'll see the newest version of the engine is also pictured without muffler, and the muffler is indicated as an separate item.

Wim
WimBlommaert

Return to General Engine Tech Talk