Help! Don't know what I have

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Help! Don't know what I have

Postby AirSpike » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi to all!! I'm wondering if someone can help me...

I recently had to clean out a late relative's garage and ran across a model engine. I havent played with gas powered airplanes since I was a kid, seriously lacking the coordination to master a Cox U-control P51 Mustang so I've been out of the gas-powered model "loop" for at least 35 years!!

This is a McCoy branded engine, with a "29" cast into the block . It has what appears to be a miniature spark plug (Champion VG3) Upon removal, the plug appears to have a coil in it's body and appears to be a glow plug rather than a spark plug -despite the porcelain insulator.

The engine appears to have remarkable compression to manual rotation and the piston visible in the exhaust port is pretty smooth without much scoring of the piston and ring.

There is a fuel line nipple on one side of the body of the "carburetor" and a flexible throttle knob and needle valve on the other side of the throat.

It's in pretty decent condition but I have not turned it over with fuel or otherwise tried to start it (primarily because I don't want to screw it up!! but, Man, oh man, it sure was tempting, tho!!)

My questions are:

What do I have?? Does it have any value or collectability?

What voltage to the plug? (If I remember those traumatic, knuckle busting, COX model days, we used 1.5 volt igniter dry cell that were about 2 inches in diameter and stood about 8 inches high or so --- with a logo of a black cat jumping through a hoop, or something like that) Haven't seen one of them for years! What would I use now-a-days ---without burning out the plug.

Are parts still available?

Thanks!! Any info/insight would be very much appreciated!
AirSpike

Postby gossie » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:15 pm

If the carb. is at the front of the motor it sounds like a fairly normal McCoy 29---it will also have a lapped piston and probably a red painted head. Not worth a lot of money.

If the carb. is at the rear then it's worth more than the above. It will or should have a ringed piston and probably a red head.

1.5 volts it will be as far as the plug is concerned. Any more and it may burn out.

Do a check on eBay re. a value. There are always plenty of them about on a regular basis. Just type in McCoy 29.
gossie

McCoy 29

Postby AirSpike » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:43 pm

Thanks Gossie!

Yeah, carb is at the front... looks like the piston has 2 rings visible....
If I can figure out how, I'll attach some photos...

I don't see any paint color on the head- not even between the cooling fins- just that grey cast aluminum... guess it could have been scraped off tho-

any suggestions for fuel?? I'm R-E-A-L tempted to pick up a prop, bolt it down and fire er up just for the heck of it! Do I need to go get some glow plug fuel. You say 1.5 volt.... what kind of battery/ cell arrangements do you suggest? I was planning to use 3 or 4 D cells in parallel to deliver 1.5 volts with a few extra amps because I don't think a single D cell would have the "oomph" to make the glow plug glow... ...or am I deducing wrong!

I've been reading up trying to bone up on info over the internet. There's a lot out there, but its far better to hear from someone well experienced and much more into it like forum member- so I thank you again!!

...any basic websites you'd recommend??

[/img]
AirSpike

Postby gossie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:12 pm

Yes you'll need some glo fuel with some nitro in it. As long as it has at least 25% CASTOR, not synthetic, and about 20% nitro----the rest methanol, your 4 'D' cells strapped together, along with a 9x6 propeller it should make a lot of noise. Bolt it down well.

There are people here that know much more than me about early McCoys, but I have a feeling with the carb. at the front, 2 rings and unpainted head it may, just may be a very early one from perhaps late 40s or early 50s. I do not really know though----who does?

The McCoy with carb. on the rear was the real performance model in it's day in 19, 29, 49 and 60. Were there any other sizes?
I do have a 29 replica in a Vintage controline team racer that I cleaned up inside and it's a one flick starter and runs very hard.
gossie

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:17 pm

There were rear-induction 'Sportsman' McCoys in .19 and .56; maybe others
Jim

Postby walt » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Sounds like a McCoy 29 Super Sport. They have a sort of rounded silver head and some had rings; some didn't.
walt

Return to General Engine Tech Talk