K&B 35 Greenhead Torpedo

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

K&B 35 Greenhead Torpedo

Postby Zaphod's Gramp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm rebuilding an old K&B 35. There's a lot of slop Where the connecting rod meets the crank pin. What's the fix? Are bushings available? Do I need a new con rod?

Are head bolts available for this model? It requires 4-3/8" X 4-40 and 2-1" X 4-40

Thanks
Zaphod's Gramp

Postby chiefss » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:42 pm

I may have a rod for that engine in my supply of parts. Let me check and I'll get back to you. If I do have one you can be assured I didn't steal it from Hobby Shack. (inside joke around here).

4x40 bolts are available from Dubro in those sizes.
chiefss

Postby chiefss » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:34 pm

I just checked into the parts bin. The rod wasn't a 35 conrod, it was for a 19. I have a crankshaft for a 35 and some other parts but no rod for the 35. I'm really sorry. i thought I had one and could help you out. You might try asking Randy Linsalato on mecoa.com at the K&B forum. Sometimes arts from one engine will fit another.

We have the same problem here with machine shops that will work on things that small.
chiefss

Postby walt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:50 am

I have a used Stallion 35 rod and they appear to be the same if you're interested.
Walt
wprog at cyberback.com
walt

Engine Gaskets

Postby WaltEagles24 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:35 pm

I have a .35 stallion which needs a head gasket and the cylinderr gasket. I bought it used and it was really gummed up so when I took it apart to clean it I found lots of rust and varnish and of coarse I ruined the gaskets. So now I have cleaned everything but can't use the engine because of the gasket problem. Can ayone help?
WaltEagles24

Postby chiefss » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Gaskets are easy to make. The backplate gasket can be made from card stock and material for the head gasket can be purchased at most automotive supply stores.
chiefss

Postby WaltEagles24 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:43 pm

What would the thickness and type of gasket material be that I should look for? This is a Hemi engine and the gasket material could affect the timing.
WaltEagles24

Postby chiefss » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:20 pm

They were all "hemi heads", as you put it. The gasket thickness will have minimum effect on the way the engine runs. They were mostly run on 5 to 10% nitro in the years they were used and if anything a thicker gasket might require a little more nitromethane. However I doubt you would notice any difference on any gasket material you might use. Just get the thinnest that will withstand higher temps and pressures. Paper gasket material won't work. I have made dozens of head gaskets for 60's vintage engines and never worried about thickness all that much.
chiefss

Postby dedaddy007 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:52 pm

I got hex head socket screws for my engines at a hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot. You may have to buy longer ones and cut them off. I use a dremal with a cutoff wheel to cut them. Be sure to clean up the threads before you try to use the screws.

Nobody carries fillister head screws in local shops. I got some from arronsmachinescrews.com for resonable prices. You gotta buy 10 or more. Some hobby shops have various size screws but you will pay about $.50 each there.

Try to get gasket material 1/64" thick. I bought some ARAMID high temp fiberglas reinforced stuff from MSC. It must have been made from parchment from the Dead Sea Scrolls to cost as much as it did but it does the job for head gaskets.

I use a home made circle cutter to cut the gaskets. I have a hole punch that works like a Yankee screwdriver to punch screw holes. I got it from LeeValley.com for a resonable price. Made some of my own punch bits for it.

To cut odd shaped gaskets I use an Xacto #11 blade that I hone on a diamond hone. I usually make 3 to get a good one sometimes.
dedaddy007

Return to General Engine Tech Talk