VINTAGE 4-STROKE FUEL ADVICE PLEASE

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

VINTAGE 4-STROKE FUEL ADVICE PLEASE

Postby boz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:34 am

I have a collection of vintage 4-stroke glow engines including British Vega sidevalve's and british Magnum single's and three cylinder radials.. My question is, what fuel would you recommend ? I don't want to fly these engines, just run them up on a bench. Any advice appreciated.
boz

Postby propwobble » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Not seeking extreme power but conservation with simple good running with decent but not extremely low idle, I'd use a glow fuel with 10% synthetic, 10% castor and 10 % nitromethane.
propwobble

Postby boz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:58 am

Many thanks for that.
boz

Postby loucrane » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:37 pm

Boz,

No offfense to Propwobble, but I, personally, would prefer a fuel with all-castor as oil, and preferably about 25% in the blend or a bit more. Even 10% nitro sound a bit strong for me.

Do you have any idea what the manufacturers originally recommended? 4-strokes are different from 2-strokes, which may make a diffrence. The key concern is that these are vintage engines...
loucrane

Postby boz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:12 am

Thanks Lou. I have no idea what the manufacturer originally recommeded. I have asked several well known model engine men like John Goodall who say to use Duraglow with 10% nitro. I will give it a cautious go and run a bit rich maybe with a touch of EDL oil added. Thanks fo all the replies.
boz

Postby propwobble » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Boz, not to offend your mentors, ( thanks Lou) Model Technics who make the duraglo you reference 10% nitro 9% E.D.L. and 6% castor also makes a four cycle fuel 10% nitro 9% castor and
9% E.D.L. This blend would give more protection than the Duraglo, "Duraglo 10" that I think you are referring. It is a two stroke blend. Remember a lot of unburnt fuel in a two stroke cools through latent heat of evaporation. Not so in a four stroke or at least not nearly as much. Though I think Lou is being perhaps a little overly cautious, he is right about the virtue of Castor oil and its ability to stand up to heat. If you are looking for and off the shelf fuel I would use Technics Spec 4s 5 or Spec 4s 10. You might use the 5 as it won't run quite as hot due to less nitro. Down side might be poor idle. Sounds like you have some nice engines there, maybe you could post some pics. :P
propwobble

Postby boz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:35 am

Thanks Propwobble. I have successfully run a British Vega 65 and 90 ( side valves) on the standard Duraglow two stroke fuel watching the temp carefully. Idle and temp was good. Yes, I do have some very nice engines including some British Magnums, three pot radial and a twin, an unrun Kalt, a Kavan and just about all the early open rocker four strokes, OS, Enya etc. and the entire range of Webra and HP ROHV. Also a large collection of ignition engines, mostly unrun. I will post some pictures at a later date. Thanks for your help.
boz

Return to General Engine Tech Talk