Source for gasket material for engines

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Source for gasket material for engines

Postby dedaddy007 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:02 am

I have rebuild/refurbished over 50 engines from the 40's to 80's to running condition in the last year for sale on eBay. Disassembling these engines usually destroys the old gaskets. I have to make new ones. I have been trying many different materials trying to find something affordable, rugged and very thin, no more then 1/64" thick.

There has been a good bit of discussion about gasket materials for engine applications. I have used manila folders, tyvek envelopes and playing cards to make gaskets for back and front plates and cylinder/crankcase joints. The only problem with those material is they become very fragile when heated and soaked with oil. Taking the engine apart after it has been run usually destroys those gaskets.

Fiber material to work as head gaskets is even harder to find. For metal gaskets I have used aluminum siding material meant for flashing. I have to remove the paint before I can use it. I have not found any cheaper or better substitute for metal gaskets.

For fiber head gaskets I use ARAMID material from MSC Direct, www.mscdirect.com. If you go to their site, then search for ARAMID you will be shown a list of gasket material. Go to the catalog page for an easier to use catalog format. They have 1/64" material. You have to buy a good bit of material that is very expensive but I have found this stuff to work fine for head gaskets. I think this stuff that is so expensive must have been made from parchment from the dead sea scrolls.

On the same catalog page is some vegatable fiber gasket material that you can buy by the foot and is 1/64" thick. I make all my low temp gaskets out of this stuff. It is tough when soaked with oil and is very easy to cut.

MSC Direct will sell small quantities but shipping is a killer. I have a quantity of these materials and will sell small pieces if there is enough interest. PM me is you would like to try some.

Lee
MECA 5575-12
dedaddy007

Re: Source for gasket material for engines

Postby kelly7898 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:24 am

dedaddy007 wrote:I have rebuild/refurbished over 50 engines from the 40's to 80's to running condition in the last year for sale on eBay. Disassembling these engines usually destroys the old gaskets. I have to make new ones. I have been trying many different materials trying to find something affordable, rugged and very thin, no more then 1/64" thick.

There has been a good bit of discussion about gasket materials for engine applications. I have used manila folders, tyvek envelopes and playing cards to make gaskets for back and front plates and cylinder/crankcase joints. The only problem with those material is they become very fragile when heated and soaked with oil. Taking the engine apart after it has been run usually destroys those gaskets.

Fiber material to work as head gaskets is even harder to find. For metal gaskets I have used aluminum siding material meant for flashing. I have to remove the paint before I can use it. I have not found any cheaper or better substitute for metal gaskets.

For fiber head gaskets I use ARAMID material from MSC Direct, www.mscdirect.com. If you go to their site, then search for ARAMID you will be shown a list of gasket material. Go to the catalog page for an easier to use catalog format. They have 1/64" material. You have to buy a good bit of material that is very expensive but I have found this stuff to work fine for head gaskets. I think this stuff that is so expensive must have been made from parchment from the dead sea scrolls.

On the same catalog page is some vegatable fiber gasket material that you can buy by the foot and is 1/64" thick. I make all my low temp gaskets out of this stuff. It is tough when soaked with oil and is very easy to cut.

MSC Direct will sell small quantities but shipping is a killer. I have a quantity of these materials and will sell small pieces if there is enough interest. PM me is you would like to try some.

Lee
MECA 5575-12

Thank you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Return to General Engine Tech Talk