Can you ID this engine?

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Can you ID this engine?

Postby iamplanecrazy2 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:56 am

I was searching eBay this morning and came upon an auction for what is to me a rather interesting engine:
Image I don't know what it is. Just a guess but might it be a K&B prototype?
Or just a cheap Russian knockoff?
Kind of has the rear rotor Torpedo 40 look but the venturi/needle valve look like Super Tigre parts. The 90 degree fuel nipple is different.
Anyway, I thought this might be a good test of your engine knowledge
or maybe it will just show my lack of same.
iamplanecrazy2

Postby raglafart » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:45 pm

It's a K&B front end and spinner from looking at it so probably uses a K&B shaft too.
raglafart

ID this engine

Postby dabraze » Wed May 19, 2010 10:42 am

I'm fairly sure that the engine is a mid to late 60s K&B formula 1 pylon engine.

It would have been the last non-schneurle pylon engine that K&B manufactured.
dabraze

Postby chiefss » Wed May 19, 2010 12:47 pm

The K&B/Veco 61 was a non schneurle engine and it's still being made by mecoa.
chiefss

Postby dabraze » Wed May 19, 2010 3:17 pm

True, but judging by the crankcase that's NOT a Veco and it's not a .61. It's obviously a .40, with a rear disc intake. The Veco .61 (and .40 for that matter) may have been made without R/C carburetors but they would have been front rotor engines.

I DID say the last non-scheurle PYLON engine. It was supplanted by the 6.5 FR, which I believe might have been designated the SR II.

It would be helpful to see the other side but if it doesn't say Torpedo, which I assume it doesn't, since you referred to that, it might be an early pylon engine with a sandcast crankcase. It has the look of a K&B crankcase, but the sides are flat rather than being molded around the screw holes

By the same token, that could explain the non-standard looking venturi and needle. The needle, at least, looks a bit like a Super Tigre. It wasn't unusual to swap parts out during that time period. They could also be K&B, before they standardized them. The venturi and spraybar assembly look almost identical to the ones on my K&B .15 scheurle pylon engines.

Rather than a one-off prototype, I would guess that it's an early run, i.e. there were multiple engines made to see how it fared in competition. I believe the rules in those days required at least 500 engines be made for one to be legal in competition. I don't know that that was true for all classes as I never flew pylon, but I followed it closely.

The casting look a little too nice for me to think it is a knock-off.
dabraze

Postby spacebug.049 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:35 am

How true.
spacebug.049

Return to General Engine Tech Talk