FUJI 29 Seized!

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

FUJI 29 Seized!

Postby combateer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:11 am

Hello, I just found your site and wondered if someone could offer me some help or advice.
I have this old FUJI 29 engine that has not been used for about 30+years and the last 12 months has been stored in my sisters cellar. (not the ideal place for model engines). Consequently, the engine is seized solid.
I have tried soaking the engine in various fluids but still it won't budge.
I have tried parrafin/ sewing machine oil/cellulose thinners and WD-40 so far.
Any tips or suggestions would be most welcome.
I was thinking of getting an Ultrasonic cleaner anyway, to try and free it up.
If I did this, would the engine need to be dismantled or could it be cleaned whole, as it is?
Thanks for any help.
combateer

Postby dedaddy007 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:24 am

I have had success using a crock pot (slow cooker) filled with Automatic Transmission Fluid. Set the pot to low and heat up the ATF. If you can, remove the glow plug and back plate so the ATF can get into the engine. Then immerse the engine in the hot ATF for several days. One engine I had took over a week to finally free up.
dedaddy007

Postby chiefss » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:11 am

Try a heat gun or a hair dryer.
chiefss

Postby raglafart » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:55 am

chiefss wrote:Try a heat gun or a hair dryer.

Or a butane torch.
Wear leather gloves and don't pussy around.
Put an old wooden prop on it before you start. You use this as a handle so you don't burn yourself through the leather gloves.
Once you've got the engine nice and hot, you can try easing the engine over.
If it doesn't turn over, don't hang on to the engine too long, the leather will heat up slowly, but if you keep hanging on to the hot engine, make sure you have somewhere you can put it down so you can take the hot gloves off!
If it's rusted then you have problems, but most engines have old castor residue inside that does preserve the steel parts pretty well.
The castor forms a gummy residue that with heat will soften allowing the engine to be turned. If it doesn't turn over, give it some more heat.
Liberally spray the insides with WD 40 once you've got everything moving while it's hot. Keep it all moving and keep spraying the WD 40 inside the engine.
When you get it turning over freely let it cool.
Now you can decide how far you want to go with the final clean up and if you want to dismantle it prior to running it again.
If if all feels pretty good, leave well alone and just run it.
Cheers John
raglafart

Return to General Engine Tech Talk