Re: Which way to start a GMS .61 2-Stroker <-->

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Re: Which way to start a GMS .61 2-Stroker <-->

Postby Krazy Mike » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:54 pm

When i was starting engines back in the 1970's through the early 1980's all of my engines started clockwise. Now the problem i am having is this new GMS .61 engine states in the manual to start it counterclockwise, right. When i did this the prop nut spun off. Any ideas to what i'm doing wrong here guys ? I know this is a stupid question, and am sorry for my stupidity here :(

Krazy Mike...
Krazy Mike

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Mike, the only engine I've ever come across that was designed to run clockwise was the infamous GHQ.

All others run anticlockwise
Jim

Postby Krazy Mike » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks Jim

KM...
Krazy Mike

GMS Engine

Postby Krazy Mike » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:52 am

Well i started it the way said. I had it at one 1/4 throttle mounted one a metal portable bench it took off the whole thing and landed on concerte sidewalk and smashed the plastic nose cone i had on it, hopefully it didn't damage the insides of the engine ? It seems to turn over alright. But have to get another nose cone now. Stupid again i guess. Any thoughts on this accident i had here ?

KMike...
Krazy Mike

Postby jus1moore » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:09 pm

lost a nose cone off my out board engine. best advise is thread lock on all screws and nuts. not familuar with to many other engines but my outboards k&b.good luck.
jus1moore

Postby Jim Thomerson » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:54 pm

My test stand is a folding sawhorse with engine stand mounted on one end. The crossbar at the back is stuck through a concrete block. Without the block a modestly powerful engine will tip the sawhorse forward.
Jim Thomerson

Starting a GMS Engine ?

Postby Krazy Mike » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:32 am

Well guys i thank you for the advice here. I restarted the engine with no problems, it ran very well. I ran 12 oz through it at 1/4 trottle to wide open for a few seconds over aprox. 20 minutes of run time. I think though i should run acouple of tanks more through it though for a proper run in.

K.Mike...
Krazy Mike

Return to General Engine Tech Talk