Help on a vintage O.S. Max 10 strip end rebuilt

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Help on a vintage O.S. Max 10 strip end rebuilt

Postby jocondor » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi,
i need your expert advice to understand how to take a part an old O.S. Max 10. I have this motor on an old Kyosho WildCat Buggy, it was blocked by old fuel but i've been able to free it up, it still turn a little "sticky" and now i'm stripping it down to be able to clean and restore it.
It's the first time that i work on one of these engines and my problem is that i'm not able to take off the piston..., can someone tell me the technique? Have i to remove the sleeve? It has a sleeve...? How can i do it? It seems blocked like was the piston. Have i to use heat?
There is someone that have an exploded view of this motor?
Here below the picture of the motor how it is now.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Bye
JC[/img]
jocondor

Postby Frank Klenk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi Jo

Yes, you will need to remove the liner. You will need to heat the case up and then gently push the sleeve out. I use a piece of brass or a wood dowel to push it out from inside the case. When you reassemble make sure you orient the liner the same as you remove it. Likewise with the piston, perhaps put a mark on the rod indicating front or rear. Hope this helps.

Frank
Frank Klenk

Postby SteveM » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:03 am

The sleeve looks to be pretty gummed up and it will likely need more time soaking in solvent to loosen things up enough to ease it out.

A neat trick I use to remove sleeves is to use the copper glow plug washer. Remove the cylinder head, drop the washer on top of the piston, rotate the crank until the piston almost closes the exhaust port and gently slide the copper washer over the edge of the piston so it just protrudes into the exhaust port slightly. Then carefully rotate the rank and the sleeve should gently be pushed up and out.

The brass washer is soft enough not to damage the piston or sleeve. Adding an airplane prop to the motor helps give a bit more leverage as well.
SteveM

Postby jocondor » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi Guys,
thanks a lot for your kind reply, i've been able to remove the sleeve with some effort and heat.... motor will be back very soon.

What kind of solvent is best to soak motor to remove gum and to loose parts and how long the motor has to be left inside.

Thanks again.

jc
jocondor

Return to General Engine Tech Talk