Bearing shields/seals

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Bearing shields/seals

Postby aston50uk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:04 am

I am replacing the old bearings in an HP40. The new front bearing has a plastic shield/seal on one face, whilst the old one doesn't. Am I correct in thinking that the bearing should fitted with the shield/seal on the front face?

Patrick Hardy
aston50uk

Postby chiefss » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:51 pm

That's where it would go. You don't really need them but they come with the shield so install it that way.
chiefss

Postby collie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:37 pm

take the shield out and throw it away.theory has it the plastic shields drag at speed,whereas the metal shields dont [the plastic shields touch the bearing center and thud cause friction,whereas the metal ones dont actually touch]just check that the new ones are the same width ,u should be able to order bearings with ought shields.dont forget to check the crankshaft turns free when new bearings installed and prop is tightened ,before u install the con rod?if it not turn free then shim front bearing where it fits on crankshaft till it is .
collie

Postby chiefss » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:45 pm

???????
chiefss

Postby Jim Thomerson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:56 pm

My K&B 4011's had shields on the front of the front bearings. I had three of them lose the front seal within a weeks time. They lost so much fuel out the front end I could no longer fly a compete stunt pattern. I was told that replacing with a new bearing with shield on the front would not help. However, I replaced the bearings and the problem was solved.
Jim Thomerson

Postby chiefss » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Leakage out the front of a two cycle engine is caused by a poor shaft to case fit. Some leakage is needed for proper lubrication.
chiefss

Return to General Engine Tech Talk