McCoy 20 Inline Twin (Dual .098's)

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

McCoy 20 Inline Twin (Dual .098's)

Postby iamplanecrazy2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:28 pm

I have an inline twin made up of 2 McCoy 098's and would like to get some
history on it. Did McCoy produce it or is it put together with aftermarket parts?
The front housing and center section castings are very well done. I have not
taken the engine apart at all to see what the internals are like. Pistons fire
alternately and there are no rings on the pistons. Has an air bleed carb. It is
only 3 inches long. It is a sweet little engine and I'm tickled to have it.
I recently purchased it from the collection of the late George Helmer. Am
wondering if he may have built it himself. Any input will be appreciated.
Tom

ImageImage
iamplanecrazy2

Postby iamplanecrazy2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Acting on a suggestion from an RC Groups member (I posted a thread there also) I contacted Tim Dannels via the Model Engine Collecting web site (link: http://www.modelenginecollecting.com/links.html) and received the following very nice and informative response from him. Check out the website. It is great and the publications offered are fantastic. Of course if you are on this site you are probably already aware of that.

Tom,

Yes, that is indeed a nice engine. George did good work. This was just one of the many "off shoots" that he made. I can't post on the RC Group site, but I'll assure you that Duro-Matic or McCoy Products never saw this engine. I noted that one of your posts mentioned the ring type liner. FYI, there are no other kinds of liners for the .098 McCoy. The very first engines had a single ring, but this was soon done away with as it was more expensive to produce and gave no advantage in performance. However, as was often done, a huge number of the liners were built initially. Far more than there were ever .098's produced - even over the 5 different models of them. I still have one of the sleeves in unlaced condition and have had a number more.

It's true that Dick McCoy did much experimenting - even combining some of the other McCoy engines into twin and multi-cylinder arrangements. However, this particular inline twin was indeed one of Hellmer's creations. Which in no way takes away from its uniqueness and conversation piece of model engine engineering. A really nice engine. And I might add my wife is much more tolerant of such things as you probably saw on the opening page of my website.

Regards, Tim

OH! And if you wish to post this on the site, be my guest.

Tim

Many thanks for the information Tim! It is great to know who to give credit
to for this creation.
Tom
iamplanecrazy2

Return to General Engine Tech Talk