engine shutoff

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

engine shutoff

Postby bikeflyer43 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:04 pm

I know that this is not completely engine related but, I am setting up to fly SAM R/C. I'm planning to use my McCoy 35 Red Head in Fox A Coy. Now, Is there a more sophisticated method to shut the engine off at the designated time than just pulling the fuel line off with the servo? Thanks for the input, Harry :o
bikeflyer43

Stopping the Noise

Postby newg4ff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:35 am

There are two basic methods of stopping a glow plug engine. You can cut the fuel supply or if you are running a pressurized fuel system you can flood the engine. Both are reliable although cutting the fuel supply is mechanically simpler. To use this method at least part of your fuel line must be fairly soft, such as latex tubing. The idea would then be to have a gadget that the fuel line passes through and that the servo can operate. The simplest type is to take some thin, soft aluminum sheet, cut a notch in the middle of one side just a little wider than the OD of the tubing, and roll the tabs remaining into a tube through which the fuel line can pass easily but not sloppily.This piece will be screwed to the fuselage near the nose. Then take a piece of thin music wire and bend a loop on one end which fits the fuel line. Bend a tab on the opposite side and make a slot/hole in it through which a loop at the other end of the wire will pass and be contained. Make a loop at the other end and you are done. To use the device thread the flexible fuel line through the bottom tube, through the wire loop and through the top tube. Hook the other end of the wire to your servo and when the servo pulls the wire far enough it will totally crimp the fuel line shutting off the engine.
If all this sounds like too much work, Hank Nystrom at Texas Timers sells a nifty pinch-off device for about $15. This one is held in tension until shutoff is desired and then released completely. I'll leave the release mechanism up to you since I work with timers, not servos, and can't quite picture it.

Best of luck,
Steve Landy
newg4ff

engine shutoff

Postby bikeflyer43 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks Steve. You helped a lot. Harry
bikeflyer43

fuel shut-off

Postby JOHN G » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:22 am

why not use shut-offs like we used in team race
JOHN G

Return to General Engine Tech Talk