Starting Trouble

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Starting Trouble

Postby skeswani » Sat May 21, 2011 6:45 am

I am trying to fix a hand me down model r/c airplane.

I just purchases a new MECOA .46 glow engine.And it just wont start.
tried all the trouble shooting tips.

1. new glow plug, good seal
2. center line of carburetter in line with fuel tank.
3. correct propeller
4. correct fuel 50/50 with 10% nitro.
5. new fuel tank and fuel lines
6. new 10X6 wood propeller

After several attempts the carburetter squirts fuel, so i know the engine is drawing fuel well. I do fee the compression and the kick when it fires, but the engine never comes on/runs.

Is there a brand of model fuel that works best for break in? I am using a model engine fuel from a hobby shop with the required specs. Do i have to mix something in it?

Is there something obvious that i am missing. any tips or tricks to get a reliable first start?
(wonder if the engine is defective or some seal is bad from factory. Have people see this often?)

[ The tech support for MECOA is locked down ]
skeswani

Postby chiefss » Sat May 21, 2011 4:38 pm

It sounds as if you are flooding it. The next time it starts to squirt fuel from the carb, shut the needle valve all the way and try to start it. If it was flooded it will now run the prime out and quit.

There are only a few reasons an engine won't start. Some reasons are:

PLUG
FUEL
It's Broken. (poor compression) ( assembled incorrectly)

Make sure the plug is glowing well. Should be a bright orange
Make sure it's getting fuel and the fuel is good

Shut the needle, prime in carb and try to start. If it doesn't start it sounds like bad plug or weak starting battery. I'm assuming you are using an electric starter.

These are pretty simple engines and there are very few reasons one won't at least run out a prime.

From your description it sounds flooded. Start with needle open about 2 1/2 turns.
chiefss

Postby skeswani » Sat May 21, 2011 8:59 pm

thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

Plug glows nice and orange.
Fuel is also plenty. I think its getting flooded in about 6 or 7 tries tries. i will reduce the high speed needle and try again. (although i followed the 3 turns anti-clockwise as recommended by the manufacture).

I was using a chicken stick, I have a electric motor too I can use that.
(is a motor preferable/easier and give a more reliable start?)

what brand of fuel is recommended for starting/break in. (which one do you use)
I got a brand at a local hobby store (Castor/Synthetic with 10% nitro).
I would rather use one that has worked reliably for others.
skeswani

Postby chiefss » Sun May 22, 2011 2:47 pm

I would use the electric starter at first. When you get the engine set correctly then you can use a chicken stick. I use wood propellers so I usually hand start, so as not to break expensive props. Electric starters can mess up plastic spinners.

Three turns may be too much. Like I said. Shut the needle all the way and then prime through the carb. If it doesn't fire up an burn off the prime then you have other problems. Three turns is just a recommendation. No two engines run at the same setting.

Any fuel 10 to 15% nitro and at least some castor is fine.

There are many commercial fuels out there and one is as good as another.
chiefss

Postby skeswani » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:46 am

thanks for helping out.
i finally got it to works.

(just to close this posting)

1. had to use a electric starter. even after engine break-in chicken stick is not very useful. (plastic spinner is scarred, but at least it works).

2. there were two loose screws on the head. noticed them after the engine started (they were rotating with the vibration). should not have affected the starting, but something to check for often.

3. my experience is that if it does not start in 3 to 5 attempts, its most likely flooded. it best to drain the fuel from the engine (turn if over). wait 15 min and try again.

4. In my case it appears that i get a nice pitched whiner from them engine at about 1 1/2 turns of the high speed needle. Although i probably could go leaner, i have not tried that since i don't want to damage the engine. (I wonder what the correct way to determine the best operating setting).
skeswani

Return to General Engine Tech Talk