receiver antenna

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

receiver antenna

Postby ben.stutzman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:01 am

For my airplanes I have always been told to stretch out the antenna never ball it up or twist it up, easy enough in a plane plenty of room, now my question is, in my boats the radio box is small no room to stretch it out. My boat keeps getting away from me, this is not a good feeling. The antenna is all twisted around each other ,I see in friends boats its done the same way and they have no problems. I did a range test with new batteries in radio and receiver and the servose start twitching at 100 feet. I think I should be able to travel at least 50 yards maybe that's to far. my receiver is a futaba r152je am 75 MHz. What does anybody think. Thanks Ben [/img]
ben.stutzman

Postby chiefss » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:58 pm

K&B used to make a whip antenna for boats. It was loaded so you could cut the Rx antenna shorter. The whip screwed into a mount on the radio box so it could be removed. I don't know if anyone makes one of these anymore.
chiefss

Postby SteveM » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Aeromarine Laminates makes an antenna mount which includes an antenna tube that you would slide the receiver wire up through. The antenna wire would need to go through the radio box, the hull amd then up the tude. Silicone seals all exit points.
SteveM

antenna

Postby ben.stutzman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Does anybody no what the lenght of the antenna wire should b in a 75mhz receiver. And is it true that the antenna wire should never be balled up and zip tied to its self, should it b stretched out
ben.stutzman

Postby chiefss » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Never wad it up. You can wind it around a piece of wood without too much loss of range but in boats, you never get that far away anyway. If you wrap it around a piece of wood, make sure it doesn't cross itself anywhere.
chiefss

antenna length

Postby ben.stutzman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:16 am

Ok, I found a site that gives the length of the wire for every brand of receiver / MHz.now my antenna is hooked to a external whip that is 9 in. , my receiver calls for 19 in. Of wire but that doesn't include the metal wip. So if tjw wire is hooked to the whip. Should I b cutting my wire length shorter so I'm still at 19 in. Instead of 28 in.
ben.stutzman

Postby SteveM » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:41 am

My older 75mHz receivers used a very long receiver wire where some of my newer ones used the shorter lengths.

When I ran nitro boats I used the Hayes whire whip antennas that had an internal coil. These needed the long receiver wires unsoldered from the receiver PC board and the short Hayes pigtail then soldered on. The antenna used a screw type mount that was secured to my radio box lids that the pigtail connected into. The wire whip then screwed onto this plate. I never once had an issue. I used to run 27mHz and 75mHz AM radios back in the day with these whip antennas.

Looks like the following;
http://www.advantagehobby.com/69377/HAY185/?cat=333
SteveM

Postby chiefss » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:16 pm

That's what I wrote i the second post. Kraft/Hayes antenna. It was loaded (the coil) which is the term used in radio jargon
chiefss

Return to General Engine Tech Talk