K&B .09 Green Head

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

K&B .09 Green Head

Postby ORF 1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:53 pm

trying to disassemble a K&B .09. The con rod doesn't seam to move at all. My understanding from years past was you pulled the con rod off the crank pin and removed the piston and con rod out the top. I know nothing about this engine and can not find a specsheet for it. Do you have to remove the cylinder to get the room you need to remove the piston? Can any one help Thanks James :roll:
ORF 1

Postby gossie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Head and back plate off. Pull out cylinder, pop big end off crank pin on shaft, and out the top.

Just remember though.......If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Is it "broke"?
gossie

K&B Green head

Postby ORF 1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:42 am

Thanks gossie the engine is not broken but after 30 years of not running there is some rust in the cylinder i would like to clean out before it is ran. To remove the cylinder the engine will have to be heated to over 350 degrees to get it apart. I was hoping there was a easier way. I remember back in my speed days we use to pup the piston out and replace them on the flying field. This engine does not have a steel liner this engine the liner is the cylinder. We do what we have to do Jim
ORF 1

Postby gossie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Backplate should not be a problem, but the Greenhead's I have have a head gasket on them that from memory gets wrecked when the head comes off.
That's why I have never taken a head off any of them.

If you still feel you must pull it all apart, just put it into you cooking oven at home on a metal tray on a high heat.
Using gloves the liner should just pull out I guess.

Good luck.
gossie

K&B .09 Green Head

Postby Ken McClenahan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:52 pm

The cylinder comes out without any effort (no heating required) but the be prepared to replace the gasket at the bottom of the cylinder.
Ken McClenahan

K&B .09 Green Head

Postby Ken McClenahan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:17 pm

It occurs to me that I should provide some explaination.

The 0.09 is built just like all of its bigger brothers and like the white heads that preceeded them.

If the cylinder will not just pull out, then there are three possibilties:

Rust on the cylinder but this is extremely unlikely because the outside of the cylinder has a bluing treatment that will prevent rust.

The gasket at the bottom of cylinder has an adhesive on both sides. This is the most likely cause and requires the destruction of the gasket to get the cylinder out. Try twisting the cylinder and if that does not work then carefully try to pry the cylinder out by inserting the tip of a screwdriver into the gasket and levering the cylinder up (be careful).

Congealed oil. This is the most difficult problem and God only knows what will work. I would start out by giving it a good squirt of WD 40 and then wait quite a while. If that does not work then you have to try immersing the engine in a solvent and letting it soak for a long time. Someone else may have a better idea.
Ken McClenahan

Postby beaslbob » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:31 am

heat it in a crock pot full of transmission fluid?
beaslbob

Postby chiefss » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Try this. Slip a small piece of wood like a coffee stirrer into the exhaust. Put a prop on the crankshaft shaft and turn the prop. Should pop the cylinder off. If the wood is cut by the piston, try using a plug gasket in the exhaust. Just enough so it will push on the cylinder when the piston goes up. Don't use any hard metal.
chiefss

Return to General Engine Tech Talk