Engine cleaning and fueling

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

Engine cleaning and fueling

Postby Sidney » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:42 am

Thanks for reading!

After like more then 20 years not ben in use by my dad I want to restart the Veco 19 engine.
After all those years the propellor can't even be moved and is just stuck.
So I want to disassamble the whole engine and clean it.
My question what kind of cleaning product does the job? Coolant? Benzene? Dieseloil? Or something else?

And someone knows the fuel mixing?
Sidney

Re: Engine cleaning and fueling

Postby SteveM » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 am

Try some WD40 and let it soak. Remove the glow plug and spray inside the cylinder too.
SteveM

Postby gossie » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:36 pm

You might have to warm it up in the oven as well to soften the old castor...............DON'T try turning it over as you will probably break something like the crankpin or the rod.
gossie

Postby Jim Johnson » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:02 pm

I re-build about 200 engines a year, the Veco 19 occupies a warm spot in my heart... this is a pretty stout little engine... before you take it apart... do not try to take it apart "cold" ... if it has Phillip head screws get the right driver for the job at hand... pre-fit it... I warm my engines up right on my gas stove (30 seconds gets it really hot so be careful) a heat gun works well but takes longer, some guys use a toaster oven ... after you warm it up put the prop on and put some fuel in it through the intake and exhaust... get it to turn... it will most likely turn... if it is still tight ... work it back an forth with heat... get a leather glove to hold the engine... take the perry carb off before doing this.. it will melt.. when turning the screws (on the warn/hot engine) hold the driver very firmly and twist with control.... this is important... I have one 19 case that has a snapped bolt in it... every engine I get, I warm them up with hot water before complete dissemble, sometimes I put them in boiling water... but fuel and heat will most likely work for you... the bearings in the Veco are usually in good shape after I clean them... these little engines can take a pounding and still be great runners.. in the last year I have cleaned/re-built around 8-9 of them... if you put it in water for any reason... heat it up to dry it out and use regular 3 in ONE oil or after run oil immediately after drying it... all of this oiling is done with the glow plug off...

Here is a pic of what the engine looks like apart..

Jim Johnson

Return to General Engine Tech Talk