FROG VIBRAMATIC 1.49 information

Post the general engine topics that here.

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

FROG VIBRAMATIC 1.49 information

Postby BRIAN PEART » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:21 am

I have a vibramatic which was classed as unrun when purchased the problem is the piston is stuffed but the cylinder is ok , no way it would run.
There is no engine number on the case which is strange also for a frog engine.
I wonder if someone could tell me if a frog 150 (red round head is the same cylinder as the vibramatic as it looks the same) I have just taken a gamble and purchased one and will not know for a couple of weeks when I recieve it
Thanks
Brian
BRIAN PEART

Re: FROG VIBRAMATIC 1.49 information

Postby ffkiwi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Yes-they are the same.....BUT. (there's always a but...!) it depends on which model Frog 150 you use-the later ones-designated the '150R' had a much shorter piston than earlier models (and plenty of SPI as a result-which is largely where the extra performance came from-with a slight bonus from the lighter piston which resulted)-the July 1956 Aeromodeller engine test notes that the 149 uses the same cylinder piston and rod......but this of course would refer to the 150 model extant at the time-which if memory serves would have been the 150 Mk2. Whilst I'm sure the later P/L will fit, I have no idea whether the performance would be the same, better or worse than the original. [I have just checked my two Vibramatics-they have no SPI whatsoever, whereas all my later model 150s do..apart from my original silver head first model one.

You're in Australia-why not get Jon Fletcher to make you a new piston for the original liner.................?

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi

Return to General Engine Tech Talk