K&B 3.5cc Outboard

Just the boat engine stuff here

Moderators: Frank Klenk, SteveM

K&B 3.5cc Outboard

Postby kesso2118 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:35 am

Hello from downunder in Australia

The bigend on my conrod has disintegrated. The engine had been unused for about 20 years. I have started to pull the engine apart and would like to check and/or replace the crankshaft bearings. I have seen the article on using the oven to remove the bearings from the crankcase but I am not sure how to pull apart the PTO to check the bearings in there.

Any advice very welcome.
kesso2118

Postby david brooks » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:35 pm

Hi kesso,

I'm just doing the same thing to mine.

All I had to do with mine was cook it at 350 F for about 20 minutes placed on a cooking pan, take it out with a hotpad keeping a bearing face open, and tap the corner of the PTO casting on a breadboard. Flip it and do the other side.

If your using a toaster oven make sure it goes on a cooking pan, and cover it loose with foil, so the elements dont scorch a retainer when they light. I thought of this before hand, but thought I should pass it along so there's no learning mistakes. :wink:

I'm lucky mine came out that easy. If they didn't come out with smacking the corners, I suppose I could have set the PTO up on some blocks and tried to snag the lip of the bottom bearing and try a push with a dowel.

The last try a hammer tap on it or a reheat if I was taking too long to do this. Its important to do this as quick as you can before it shrinks from the outside again.

I looked into buying new bearings and finding it difficult to find a full set made of stainless steel. Any suggestions welcome here.
david brooks

Postby Frank Klenk » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:15 pm

If bearings are not available through Mecoa then try BOCA Bearings, there're in Florida ... http://www.bocabearings.com/
They have an online catologue, if you know your bearing part number it makes it easy.

Frank
Frank Klenk

Postby kesso2118 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:07 pm

Thanks for the reply David.

I used the "oven" method to remove the bearings from the crankcase and a steel drift to remove the PTO Shaft from the collet retainer.

It turned out my engine only had one bearing on the PTO. From the exploded engine diagrams it looks like the more recent models have two bearings.

Anyway, I managed to get my engine apart, replace the bearings, PTO, gaskets & o-rings, get it back together and have been happily running it since April.
kesso2118

Return to Marine Engine Topics